Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

LED Lights

tarantula_123

Hi,

One of the reasons my Corolla T - Sport failed its MOT test recently was through having LED blue sidelights. I am pretty sure another garage passed my car for its previous MOT with them in. Anybody know the laws on this? I have never been stopped by the police for having them fitted.

Also, does anyone know if it is legal to replace the rear number plate lights with LED blue lights?

Thanks,

tarantula_123.

Major manufacturers such as Osram and Philips state their LED bulbs are for interior use only, which implies they are not legal for exterior use.

Taken from an MOT guide:

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light’s intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators, 

How blue is blue? No car other than emergency services may show blue lights (I often wonder how all the truckers seem to get away with it?).

Strictly speaking no LED lights are legal externally for road use on vehicles  under UK construction & use laws - however, EU/UN ECE regs overrule.

Those require E marking (which usually requires testing & certification of the complete light as a unit) to comply.

The MOT test is a safety/emissions test not a test of legality - it is quite possible for a car to pass an MOT whilst not being entirely road legal. A lot can come down to the tester.

The police probably haven't stopped you because they don't have the time/resources/inclination to do so.

There supposedly is at least 1 case of an insurer refusing a claim because the no. plate bulb(s) had been replaced with LED without them being informed of the modification.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links