Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

*RESOLVED* Clutch pedal stuck on the floor

NorthantsPete

So driving home last night i went to change gear and the clutch pedal went down but not back up.

I managed to pull it up with my foot and i could change gear all the way home but something has broken.

Someone mentioned it could be low clutch oil but where's that? My power steering fluid is low and brake fluid ok....

2.0 d4d 2003

If the clutch worked, even though you had to raise the pedal manually, it's unlikely to be fluid. More likely the spring on the pedal itself. You can check visually with a torch on the pedal box, probably need to remove a trim, not a big job though. Otherwise it's likely something on the diaphragm, but I'd expect that to make the clutch fail to disengage. Good luck.

Hi I had a renault traffic which did the same came of the motorway pressed the clutch and it just Stayed on the floor ,I pulled up the pedal and it worked fine for a week then did the same . It turned out to be the clutch slave unit inside the gear box which pushed the clutch release bearing when you press the clutch . If I was you I would Check the clutch master cylinder normally up near the pedal or on the bulk head inside the engine bay also all pipe work for a small weep and the slave unit on the gearbox pop back the rubber boot and check for leaks yours should be visible as you look down when you open the bonnet . Good luck 

• Like 2

My money is on the clutch master cylinder seals. Fluid has bypassed the o-rings and has created a slight vacuum which the return spring cannot overcome thus preventing the piston from resetting. 

Failure of the slave would not prevent the pedal from returning as additional fluid would just be drawn in from the reservoir. 

This was relatively common on the MR2 mk2. 

The clutch fluid shares the same reservoir as the brakes. There's not likely to be a significant loss of liquid but you may see some dampness on the seal/shaft which is attached to the clutch pedal. Also check the slave for any leaks at the same time as mentioned above. 

• Like 2

Ok so it was the pipe that sits under the radiator, it had corroded.i guess it takes a bit of a beating down there with the salt and crud etc. Cut and new pipe fitted

Good to know its not always the master or slave that goes, it can just be some part of the piping too.

Worth checking as all youtube videos blame these common parts too.

• Like 3

Hi Pete well done on sorting your clutch pedal issue and letting us know the out come .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links