Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold Temperature Warning Light Not On!

madon37s

Hi all,

I have a 2003 1.4 D-4-D Tspirit Yaris and I have very recently noticed that the cold temperature warning light on the instrument panel does not come on anymore when starting the car from cold, the car still works perfectly well as it still gets warm and the heaters all work properly but with it being a little cold just lately it's a bit of a nuisance when I don't have that warning light go off to tell me the car has warmed up enough to put the heater on!

Just as an aside, I have recently had an ABS sensor fitted by my mobile mechanic (the ABS warning light was staying on and is an MOT failure) and it seems that it has stopped coming on since then, it may well be just a coincidence but I have text him over a week ago asking for his advice and any idea's what it could be but alas, no reply! I have text him again after giving him a reasonable time to get back to me but still no reply!!!

So, if anyone can help me with my plight I would be very thankful.

Kind regards, Paul

Most likely a failed bulb...Easy job but buy bulb from a dealer as they are not a standard bulb.

Cheers, I will have a go at that. How easy is it though?

Please check your ABS still works . wad the bulb removed by the mechanic to fix your abs light problem and had also taken the cold temperature light ? 

I will check my brakes when I go out in the car next but I can assure you he did not take any bulbs out because he replaced the actual ABS sensor (I know as I was there watching him do the job) and after the new sensor was in the ABS warning light went out.

Is it difficult to change these warning light bulbs inside the dashboard? 

I suspect the light is LED so it is hard to believe it is burnt out . I suggest call the toyota dealer and ask if it uses bulb or led .  

Hi Perfection, I can certainly try ringing them but I know what they will say! "you will need to bring the car in sir so we can diagnose the problem for you"..... £60= later!!!

Is it possible (or is there one) that the temperature sensor is bolted to the side of the engine block somewhere and that the wires may have been knocked off or something like that?

If your sensor or wiring is knocked off. I would expect your car will show an engine light. Do you have access to tech stream mini vci ? If not buy one from eb... Only around £15. You can read the temperature via the the diagnostic.

Fair enough your'e probably right. I've had a look on eBay and I can't see any techstream vci thingy's for the Yaris! Lexus, Avensis but no Yaris. Is there one that does all (or the majority of Toyota's)? They look like they are just a cable, how on earth can I read any temperatures with just a cable? Hang on I think I may know this one! Do I need to use a Laptop with the cable?

The techstream vci mini will read all toyota  and lexus cars. It will come with a usb cable with a OBD2 plug that plugs into the socket near the bonnet opener lever. You are right that it will plug into a laptop. You need to make sure you have the correct operating system.  Win XP is the easiest to install and operate.

Many thanks for your help again Perfection, I have windows 7 on the laptop so I am assuming it will be ok on that OP? will this VCi come up with the cold temperature warning light failure or whatever the reason behind it not illuminating is! Strangely, I still have had no reply from my mobile mechanic which I have to say is a disgrace to be honest as I was only asking him for advice about it and he seems bent on ignoring me!! very bad service I think.

The  vci will display the coolant temperature in degree c. If the value is not increasing as the engine heats up then that tells you something.

OK, HEEEELP.......

I have just bought one of these Toyota mini VCi thingy's but I am having trouble trying to use it! I have installed it on to my laptop using the supplied disc no problem but, when I now try to use it I am getting these windows up and I really don't know how to get past them! I have already had a window come up asking me to enter the 'repairers' details etc so I have had to put my own name in and make the rest up! 

The first picture is a 'registration' window but I have no key to enter into the space as my VCi didn't come with one!

Second picture is asking me to logon to a Toyota Europe website that I am not even registered on! what am I supposed to be doing here? does anyone know? I really need some 'detailed' help please.

20170219_161203.jpg

20170219_161135.jpg

The software supplied with eBay cables won't be an official Toyota licensed version. Usually they come with some sort of 'crack' to circumvent any registration process. Are there any setup instructions saved on the disc as a text file perhaps? 

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Perfection said:

Please check your ABS still works . wad the bulb removed by the mechanic to fix your abs light problem and had also taken the cold temperature light ? 

You are not the only that doesn't like coincidences.

madon37s.... does the ABS light illuminate correctly with the ignition on but engine not running ?

Hi Mooly, Yes, it definitely does and it goes off as it should when car is started. Many thanks.

Thanks... I just wondered on that one, and that was an easy way to rule out any doubts over the dash having been tampered with. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links