Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 key fob battery issues

Wiggers

Hi gang,

i have a 57 plate rav 4, he's called Ron and we have a beautiful relationship..... however, we're having a slight fall out at the moment as his key fobs are going through batteries like nobody's business. And said batteries appear to be a bit like hen's teeth! 

For example; I put a new one in last Tuesday...... it stopped working yesterday! It lasted 5 days. I'm up to 4 batteries since new year and I didn't drive him for 3 weeks because I was on holiday! 

Anyone out there had similar issues or solutions?..

here's hoping. 

Thanks

Tracey. 

Is it happening with more than one fob?  If so, it could be a bad batch of batteries.  Otherwise, if you have more than one fob, and it happens with only one of them, it could be a problem with the fob.  Try cleaning in the Battery compartment with electrical contact cleaning spray (not WD40!).

39 minutes ago, Wiggers said:

And said batteries appear to be a bit like hen's teeth!

Can't help with your query per-se, but try eBay for batteries.  You'll probably pick up a pack of 10 for about a fiver.

Or Amazon

Is it the batteries or the key fob? What are you using as evidence the Battery has failed? 

If it is because the car isn't locking/unlocking there could be other reasons?

Thanks. It's both fobs and the batteries have all been from different suppliers. 

Will keep trying. 

Thanks. It's both fobs and the batteries have all been from different suppliers. 

Just ordered 5 from eBay for a fiver 👍🏻

Will keep trying. 

• Like 1

Is the issue that the car isn't locking or unlocking using the fobs? And is this happening in the same place?

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Or Amazon

Is it the batteries or the key fob? What are you using as evidence the battery has failed? 

If it is because the car isn't locking/unlocking there could be other reasons?

Have ordered from Amazon but delivery took ages and I've got Prime. When I needed one in a hurry I struggled to get one. I phoned Toyota and the unhelpful chap said; 'have you put the Battery in upside down?'

erm, no! It was working and now it's not. He said if the red light doesn't come on when you press the lock/unlock button then it's a problem with the Battery. Fobs do not need any reprogramming. 

Are the batteries just rubbish? Is something draining them somehow? 

Used the car for 12 months with no issues....now suddenly this #confused

To be honest, if it is both fobs and batteries used have been from different suppliers, then either the batteries are being drained somehow (which seems unlikely) or it is something else

Where do you keep the fobs?

You haven't answered whether the issue is because the car isn't locking/unlocking? Does this occur in the same place or elsewhere?

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Is the issue that the car isn't locking or unlocking using the fobs? And is this happening in the same place?

Well generally it's at my home.  When I got to work yesterday it said 'low key battery' but it did lock. Unlocked when I got in it at work but wouldn't lock when I got home (15 miles). When I was driving it last week, it allowed me to open it at home, but then during the journey it said 'no key detected', key was in the car. I then stopped and switched the engine off and it wouldn't start. Eventually it did....thankfully. It locked when I got home. Next morning I go to it to drive to work and it wouldn't unlock. Yes there's the key to use but that set the alarm off and I couldn't switch it off. 

Where do you keep the fob when not driving, and could something be pressing against the fob buttons, draining the Battery?

I keep it in a large handbag...I did consider this so I'm 'trialling' keeping it separate from all the other stuff in there. 

1 hour ago, Wiggers said:

.... Yes there's the key to use but that set the alarm off and I couldn't switch it off. 

I think the alarm should switch off if you turn the ignition on.

43 minutes ago, Wiggers said:

I keep it in a large handbag...I did consider this so I'm 'trialling' keeping it separate from all the other stuff in there. 

If the buttons being constantly pressed in your handbag, turns out to be the issue, you could pop it into a protective case to prevent that from happening.

Toyota Leather Key Chain GT86 Yaris Supra Land Cruiser Rav4 IQ MR2 TRD Celica

I've now got it in a little pouch......I'll see how that goes

thanks everyone 

On 13/02/2017 at 1:33 PM, IanML said:

I think the alarm should switch off if you turn the ignition on.

Ok so, this is still going on..... I'm going through a new Battery every 5 days!! 

Are you saying that the alarm does not silence when you turn the ignition on?  If so, that is nothing to do with the Battery in the fob.  I suspect it would be a fault within the alarm system :sad:

Otherwise, did you try cleaning the Battery compartment in the fob with electrical switch-cleaning spray?  There could be something, perhaps not very visible, which is partially shorting batteries and causing them to discharge.

Does this fob use the lithium coin cells. If so, then there can be issues with the lower sprung contacts have weakened and not contacting both the circuit board and the Battery at the same time.

Whatever Battery it uses, look carefully at the contacts and both clean and retension if needed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links