Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing brake light

davidgilmour

Hi,

i need to replace the brake light (isnt working).

what light do I need to buy?

the normal red light is working but the breaklight not? How can that be when it is the same lamp?

3 minutes ago, davidgilmour said:

i need to replace the brake light (isnt working).

what light do I need to buy?

the normal red light is working but the breaklight not? How can that be when it is the same lamp?

Some bulbs have two filaments in them: a dim one for sidelights and a bright one for brake lights, shown in the pic in this link...

http://www.classicbikepartscheshire.com/electrical-c3/bulbs-c24/bsa-classic-motorcycle-bulb-12v-21-5w-p186/s193?gclid=CLbv9b_ojNICFe0A0wodJjsHEA

Beware not to buy that particular bulb cos old British motorbikes had some wierd fittings, it's merely a good pic to show the two filaments.

If yours are this type then search for a standard 12v 21/5w bulb.  Be aware when fitting that it must be fitted the correct way round.  The pins on the metal shaft of the bulb are offset from centre.  It shouldn't fit the wrong way round, but it's been known to happen.

They are twin filament bulbs, One 5W filament for the rear light and a second 21W filament for the brake light. It's usually the brake one that fails as they get pretty hot in use especially if you sit for a long time with your foot on the brake pedal rather than using the handbrake.

I'm pretty sure you need an R580 bulb with the crimped end and small metal contacts on them but it would be worth taking the old bulb out to check before buying a new one. If you buy a pair replace both sides and keep the working one as a spare. In my experience bulbs tend to fail at a similar age.

Craig.

Bulb-R580-LEN.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links