Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 190 Weak Lift Issue

SamT1990

Hi all,

This is my first post so hello to everyone!

I have a 52 plate Celica 190 on 68k... which I love, however recently through this cold spell we have had during winter something has gone a little bit wrong with my car I think.

Essentially the lift has weakened (still obvious in 1st and a little bit in 2nd gear), but not what I remember it used to be, it used to kick me with a thud in the back and now it is sort of meh...

The car will also take a while to warm up (maybe because its winter) and once warmed up will only go to position 3 out of 4 on the temperature gauge. 

After trawling the forums I read it could be the thermostat so I changed that (not with an OEM one), but a equivalent quality part, unfortunately this didn't solve the issue.

So I then thought I should check the lift bolts, as mine is a pre facelift one they may have snapped. I found they had already been changed by the previous owner and were not snapped which was excellent news, I replaced the previous tapered bolts with new ones just for peace of mind. Still no change.

My next step was to change the engine coolant temp sensor, however again no real change.

The car has just had its yearly full service and oil always been kept at the right levels, ditto the engine coolant.

I'm really stuck as to what to do next, either I have just got used to lift or something else is wrong, could it be the radiator? Potentially the ECU throwing the lift out as it wont get to optimum temp? 

Would really appreciate any advice someone may have.

Cheers!

Sam

Have you tried cleaning the lift ocv?, it's a small filter that sits behind the oil pump on the side of the block and if it gets blocked lift will not function.

• Like 1

I believe the 2ZZ has two small mesh filters which can get clogged with deposits, causing loss of lift. One of them is the lift oil control valve strainer (Part No. 15678-46010).

As I have a 140, it's not something I'm very familiar with, but if I was you, a can of carb cleaner to clean them out would be top of the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett Arrow said:

I believe the 2ZZ has two small mesh filters which can get clogged with deposits, causing loss of lift. One of them is the lift oil control valve strainer (Part No. 15678-46010).

As I have a 140, it's not something I'm very familiar with, but if I was you, a can of carb cleaner to clean them out would be top of the list.

Yeah it has 2 ocv's, 1 for vvt and 1 for lift, The other ocv is behind the altanator.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links