Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid tyre sizes

cptfrederickson

Hello all, first post on the forum!

Bought myself a Mk.1 Auris Hybrid (T-Spirit) yesterday and after a bit of advice. I've looked around the forum a lot but can't really find a definitive answer.

Three of the tyres on the car are approaching the end of their lives, so I intend to bung on a whole new set but herein lies the problem.

I understand 215/45 R17 is the standard fit, but some use 225/45 R17. What are the potential pitfalls (if any) of using 225/45s? My preferred tyres are much cheaper and easily available in 225/45, but performance is worse in 215/45, meaning even more money for an alternative.

Should I stick with 215/45, or go for 225/45? Any help greatly appreciated.

The first generation Auris hybrid (2010 - Oct 2012) was fitted with either 195/65/R15 or 215/45/R17 as original equipment. Some versions of the second generation Auris hybrid (Dec 2012 onwards) had the 225/45/R17 as OE.

Depends what you mean by performance - are you referring to economy or ....?

The wider tyres will reduce the economy slightly as they're 1cm wider and the rolling resistance will be higher.

It is up to your choice but

1) check the effect on your speedometer before buying (there are websites where you can check the effect of having different sized tyres on the speedo - ie, whether it will over or under read [it is illegal for a speedo to show less than the actual speed]), and:

2). check with your insurer whether they will accept the change in tyre size.

Thanks Frostyballs.

Was referring to best balance of economy, grip and noise level.

Will get onto the insurer and check out these calculators.

I had 225/45 17 tyres fitted instead of the 215/45 17. The Speedo is more accurately than before, the ride is better, grip is better...but to be fair that is comparing old tyres against new. Regarding economy....the mpg readout may be a fraction lower, but the differance is minimal and closer to a true mpg figure.

I have kept to the original size of 215/45 R17, I did think about trying the slightly wider ones, before the tyres were available in the original size.

Looks like I'm going to opt for the 215/45, Avon ZV7.

Had a Mk. 1 on 15"s, and now a Mk. 2 on 17"s - find economy between 5-10% worse, but ride is improved

Booked in for Thursday, new shoes all round and 4 wheel alignment.

On a separate note, just did my first fuel economy calculation, managed to get a shade under 51mpg. Not bad considering that includes the long drive from Somerset to Kent when I bought the car. 402 miles from the tank, which was Sainsburys standard rubbish.

Also, considering my wheel alignment is definitely a little out and my current tyres are knackered, I'm impressed.

2 hours ago, cptfrederickson said:

Booked in for Thursday, new shoes all round and 4 wheel alignment.

On a separate note, just did my first fuel economy calculation, managed to get a shade under 51mpg. Not bad considering that includes the long drive from Somerset to Kent when I bought the car. 402 miles from the tank, which was Sainsburys standard rubbish.

Also, considering my wheel alignment is definitely a little out and my current tyres are knackered, I'm impressed.

402 miles per tank isn't bad for the present climate.

I have just past half a tank, my trip is 235 and the estimated range is 135. The estimated range probably will have to recalculate as I'm sure I can get more than another 135 out of the tank. 

Have you checked the tyre pressures?

Being slightly under is worse than being slightly over. 

Been checking them regularly. Tending to go for just over recommended, usually around 34psi. To be honest, I've been pleasantly surprised that I've hit decent figures, I've been averaging around 56 mpg on my usual commute (according to the ships computer) so pretty chuffed. And being a student, its good to save some cash!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links