Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

anyone tinted their rear lights - having mine done tomorrow

avensisnewbie

i have my car booked in tomorrow afternoon to have my rear lights tinted

using a product called lamin x 

just wondered if anyone else has had this done and if its legal

going for a light smoke tint - just to darken it a little

i hate the rear of the car. dont mind the front but the huge red lights are awful

Taken from the AA guidance on MOTs - Lighting:

• 1. Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour are now a reason for failure.
  • 2. HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

So one does risk MOT failure as regards tinting lights.

I worked with a bloke who used his mom's old tights and covered the back lights in it. It gave the same effect as tinted brake lights but could be removed if needed.

not heard of this before until i went looking on google earlier and came across a few posts saying the same thing.

its not something i would consider but thanks for the idea. 

My issue is that during the day, unless it is very dull, you can hardly see the tail lights. I normally try and keep a good distance anyway. Also installing brighter bulbs to compensate may or may not work because the fittings and cables need to take the extra heat and current.

There are times when looks are less important than practical use and safety. Also isn't tinting class as a modification in insurance companies eyes?   

• Like 3

hi Konrad

never really noticed they were dull. they look fine to me. 

i know they will be classed as a modification but that doesnt bother me. as long as the premium doesnt go up too much. 

havent had any comments from people having it done so will keep an open mind at the mo. 

am more concerned that the mot could be failed depending on the examiner. 

which would mean getting a 2nd pair of lights to put on for the mot. 

I personally wouldn't do it I'd rather have my back end seen and not push into the back seats

• Like 3

On 2/16/2017 at 3:42 PM, avensisnewbie said:

hi Konrad

never really noticed they were dull. they look fine to me. 

i know they will be classed as a modification but that doesnt bother me. as long as the premium doesnt go up too much. 

havent had any comments from people having it done so will keep an open mind at the mo. 

am more concerned that the mot could be failed depending on the examiner. 

which would mean getting a 2nd pair of lights to put on for the mot. 

As I said, it depends on how bright are the bulbs and darkness of the tint. 

Slightly off topic but related to rear lighting, Ford Mondeo 2000 - 2007 had awful setup where the stop lamps were hardly brighter than the tail lights. Only the high level stop light helped. My friend noticed this years back. Also the Ford Focus Mk1 reverse light is way too low. had a near miss once. 

Compare the before and after, best when one side is done.

38 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Also the Ford Focus Mk1 reverse light is way too low. had a near miss once. 

Not just the Mk1 Focus has a poor reversing light. When I had a 58 plate Mk2.5 2 common mods were 1)  Cree LED bulb & 2) buy a Continental Focus reversing light unit for the offside & mod it to also have a fog.http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29347-guide-fitting-second-reverse-light-ford-focus-mk2-mk25/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links