Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Pads experiences.

Kuneha

My IQ originally had Toyota pads on them. The manufacturer of our OEM brake pads is a company called Advics, parent company being Aisin Seikei.

A little trivia for you.

Anyways, moving on...

I changed from these pads to Pagid alternatives and I was presented with a low speed friction noise (the same noise your brakes would make if they were clearing rust from the discs) but it was constant 24/7 at low crawling speeds. Low braking speed was not smooth either, they were grabby; like the pads grabbed and let go of the disc when coming to a stop - and when coming to a stop, they would grab hard on the disc and produce a horrid noise.

Annoyed with the noise and assuming perhaps it was the discs that were faulty, again, they were original Toyota OEM units. I changed these for Mintex discs. The noise was still present.

Soon after I changed the Pagid pads to Mintex pads. I thought Mintex pads and Mintex discs should rid the noise and produce smoother braking. Again, the noise was still present. ****.

So, luckily I had the old original OEM Toyota pads still, so I installed them and thankfully the noise is gone. I am very confused here and I can only put it down to the compounds that these brake pads are made of.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? - Are you using aftermarket pads comfortably?

Aisin Seiki is 30% owned by Toyota Group.

I've never noticed any differences with braking noises with different pads etc. I've noticed the cheap and cheerful pads and discs don't stop half as well as more expensive brands. Currently I'm on the Mintex band wagon and found them to be a good balance of value for money and performance. Never noticed, or never been bothered, with the noise they make though.

However, from reading what you said it sounds like you've changed the discs and pads, but you've fitted the old pads back on? This isn't good I don't think.

The old pads still have a few months left in them. I will run these until they're dead and then purchase some original OEM pads. I just wish I had an answer to why Pagid/Mintex pads for my IQ are noisy but are seemingly acceptable by others.

When I changed my brakes at the start, I serviced them also. I cleaned up the abutment clips, re-greased the slider pins with silicone and flushed out the old brake fluid.

The only things I can think of that would be a factor of the noise is either having more material on the pads which somehow makes the noise or simply the compound of the material itself, but this seems less likely if Mintex pads are doing you a good service.

Cars. Mother funking cars.

How many miles did you do on the new pads? 

They may just need time to bed in to the shape of the brake discs and quieten down a bit. New pads for me have always been a bit grabby and noisy to start with..

Craig.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links