Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

04 Yaris screen wash problem - help needed please

billythe fish

Hi.

I can't get the front screen wash to work. Is this a common faluth? / any likely fixes? thanks. There is water in the bottle and the jets dont seem to be blocked. I can't hear the usual sound of a pump operating. thanks again

If you cannot hear the pump, may be a faulty pump. Also check any Y connector in the piping as these have a non return valve and may have failed.

Thanks. I'll check the Y connector. I guess that a faulty pump might be the problem. What's the process for changing the pump? huge thanks

I believe that the same pump operates both the front and rear windscreen wash, so try the rear, just to check that it's likely to be the pump.

If still no joy, then check the fuse box for a blown fuse. Someone may have operated the pump when the screen wash was frozen (during the cold spell) and blown the fuse.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for help so far. The car is (now) my parents so I don't have regular access to it. I visited today to have a look. I can feel 2 pumps on the wheel side of the water 'bottle'. I wasn't expecting 2 pumps! There is no obvious pump sound other than a possible 'click' when the pump is activated (front or back). The bottle is full of water - worryingly clear! (ie no antifreeze). I located the fuses in the car. There seems to be 1 x 20A 'wiper' fuse. The wipers work properly both front (and one replacement motor later) back. The fuse looks to serve the wipers and pumps - as per the Haynes manual. So I dont see this as a fuse problem - unfortunately. My thinking is that the problem may be from a frozen water bottle / pumps etc. Before I get the wheel off and remove the inner arch to check the electricity / swap on the pumps, has anyone else had this problem / know of a situation when both pumps have failed? I have bought one used  replacement pump ready to be fitted. My plan will be to try to get to it through the side without removing the under engine cover, front bumper, headlight etc! All advice hugely appreciated thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Repaired. Access to the 2 pumps was obtained by removing the front grill. Each pump was taken apart and the impellers were found to be jammed. They were eased off, put back together, tested, refitted and now work successfully. Odd that they both got stuck at the same time. Thoughts are that the bottle was left empty for a long time or that the water was contaminated with junk - or a bit of both. Thanks for the advice. I'll update the rear wiper motor solution too.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links