Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clarification of updates

Harters

I am due to pick up my new Prius Excel on March 1st and I want to make sure the car is fully updated, but am confused by map updates and system updates.

Logging into MyToyota with my VIN number I can see there are several map updates

• Update 4.3.0H - FREE
  • Map Update 6.8.2H - £109.00
  • Map Update 6.8.1L - £109.00  - This product does NOT include 3 Years of MapCare & Services!
  • 3Yr MapCare & Services - £109

All of the above say they are for Toyota Touch 2 Go which is what I understand the Excel has, although the brochure states 'plus' on the end, but from reading another thread I understand that just means I get 3 years of updates for FREE?  I am also confused by the warning on 6.8.1L

Also from the same thread if I remember correctly, someone said their car arrived with the older touch screen interface, does the map updates cover that change or is that something that the dealer has to do (system update)?  I am hoping that as its only recently been built that it should be fully updated, but I am not sure if thats done at factory or by the dealer?

My dealer has been really good so far and have arranged for the reversing beeper to be set to single beep for me at PDI so if I need them to update the sat nav then I will ask them to do that for me as well.

Also, I have noticed that I cannot add any item to my basket as the Add to basket button is not clickable, could this be because I cannot verify my account yet as I don't have the code required from my V5?

Thank you :smile:

I picked up my Prius Excel on 2nd September 2016. Brilliant motor so far & a real dream to drive. I was having  problems with my multimedia since nothing seemed the same as the online user manual. However, after excellent help from folks on this forum I was able to resolve the issues. As it was my car came without the updates installed. This meant almost everything, especially the sat nav was all over the place. The good news is that all sat nav updates are included without charge for the first 3 years for the Excel & they are easy to install by downloading the updates to a USB memory stick after saving a copy on your PC or MAC & then inserting the USB stick into the port on the car WITH YOUR HYBRID SYSTEM TURNED ON since if you simply switch on the accessory mode it'll switch off after about 20mins. Since the update takes longer than this it'll totally disrupt the download & completely mess up the system! This was important advice I was given on this forum! I downloaded version 6.8.2H & I have no idea what version 6.8.1L is but it does numerically seem to be an earlier version. Hope all of this helps but does anyone out there know what version 6.81L is & is it by chance, a further update?

• Like 1

That's perfect, thank you very much :smile:

All of a sudden the time is flying by. Ordered it way back in October so it's been a long time coming :biggrin:

Hi 6.8.1L is the October 16 update it is full of faults 6.8.2H is a interim update to try to fix those faults it is not available on all models (I have the business + and cannot get it) the next update proper  is due March hope it is better than the last

Edited by ian rooke
spelling
  • Like 1

The L and H denote Low & High versions of the software:

6.8.1#L is the latest Low version available and can only be installed in cars with Touch 2 & Go nav

6.8.2#H is the latest High version which can only be installed in cars with Touch 2 & Go + / Pro nav ( the High grade adds voice control & 3D mapping ) 

you will also see W or E in the software versions e.g 6.8.1WL this denotes a Western Europe map set, E not surprisingly is a Eastern Europe map set.

• Like 2

Thats great, so if my car has not been updated when I pick it up I just need to download and install Map Update 6.8.2H.  I gather from reading a previous post that although it says £109.00 this becomes FREE when I go through the check out process?

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Also, I have noticed that I cannot add any item to my basket as the Add to basket button is not clickable, could this be because I cannot verify my account yet as I don't have the code required from my V5?

Am I right in my assumption above that I can only add things to my basket once I have verified my car?

Thanks

11 hours ago, Harters said:

Thats great, so if my car has not been updated when I pick it up I just need to download and install Map Update 6.8.2H.

This should be part of the PDI for the car - check it before you accept the car. If the dealer hasn't done this what else may they not have done? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harters said:

Am I right in my assumption above that I can only add things to my basket once I have verified my car?

I think that's right.  IIRC there's a code on one of the screens in the car you need to enter into the on-line system before you can complete an 'order'.

• Like 1

Brilliant, thank you all for your help.... roll on March 1st :biggrin:

• 4 months later...

Downloaded 6.9 update to PC. 7Gb size. However this size file cannot be copied to FAT32 usb drive due to its 4gb limit. Oops didn't realise I have to extract the contents to the usb.

The e-store screen listing the update as £109 was confusing at first, until you click Buy, and it changes to Free to match my 3 years free map updates.

Edited by posing
  • Like 1

Can you not format the USB stick to NTFS format?

if you change the file system to NTFS it will not load

Took nearly an hour to extract the whole update to the usb. Once I plugged into the car, I chose to deselect all countries bar UK. This resulted in a 15 minute install.

The new update also changed the look and feel of the Radio station selector, as well as the SatNav.

Alls well. Just annoying I had to download all of Western Europe, as there is no option to just choose UK maps.

19 hours ago, posing said:

Took nearly an hour to extract the whole update to the usb. Once I plugged into the car, I chose to deselect all countries bar UK. This resulted in a 15 minute install.

The new update also changed the look and feel of the Radio station selector, as well as the SatNav.

Alls well. Just annoying I had to download all of Western Europe, as there is no option to just choose UK maps.

I did the same as you, it seemed the easiest way. Depending on which program/app you use, isn't there a way of selecting which files to extract when you unzip it to USB ? (assuming you know which files you need)

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2017 at 4:15 PM, posing said:

The e-store screen listing the update as £109 was confusing at first, until you click Buy, and it changes to Free to match my 3 years free map updates.

Thanks for that - I had looked for an update but stopped when I saw the price. Now waiting for the contents of the zip file to be transferred to USB (estimated time 1 hr 55 mins)