Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto question?

blueb4sunrise

Hi all. I am the proud new owner of a 20 year old corolla.  I pick it up from the garage on Monday.  Its a 1.6 automatic with frog eyes and 5 drs. 

I have a silly question - What does the wee button under the big button do on the gear selector?

Although I have driven automatic vans and trucks at work for years, none of them had a traditional car style gear selector and all my other cars have always been manual. 

Anyway here is a pic of the new runaround and a pic of the buttons on the gear selector.

20170217_125729.jpg

20170218_230643.png

It's the overdrive button. Click it and if the OD is off you will see OD off come up on the dashboard. Click it again and the light will go off and the OD will be on. It's effectively an optional higher gear. Benefits at higher speeds is quieter, lower revs and more economical. Sometimes on hills or when wanting more acceleration you can flick it off. If you watch the rev counter you will see how much revs drop when you put it on.

• Like 1

Cool, that means it has 3 gears and an overdrive (effectively making it a four speed).

Thanks for replying,  your response guided my googling.  It seems it is s good idea to flick it off while driving in very hilly country or towing etc. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links