Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Upgrades

shamil91

Hello,

I am new to the forum and needed some help.

I currently have a 2006 Toyota Avensis 1.8 T25, it has been kept in great condition, fully running and absolutely amazing drive. The car has done 100k in mileage.

I am looking to keep the car on a long term basis, if possible to push it to 150k miles or more. The car is serviced each year but I wanted to ask if I was to buy my own specific parts such as high end spark plugs or high performance oil filter compared to the ones they use in the service would that really make a difference or just waste of money? Plus I am sure over time the car loses horsepower etc, would buying any high end items make a difference?

Finally also had to ask if I did want to change the engine (highly doubtful as I am sure that would cost an arm and leg) to a 2.0 plus how much would it roughly cost? Only reason I am asking is because it would be nice to have a bigger engine if possible in future. The new Toyota Avensis after 2010 the body shape is not that great but the older models the body shape is amazing hence why not upgrading to the new model.

Many thanks for all your help in advance

Kind regards

Shamil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Alright shamil91, so basically, to keep a car in good condition to last its full life is somewhat universal with any vehicle: High mileage oil for high mileage cars, driving like a simple Samaritan, changing air filter when recommended, and checking your car for problems yourself or having it serviced. For spark plugs, you don't need anything other than what your service manual suggests unless you are upgrading your car and need a more intense spark. Oil filter wise, different oil filters can decrease the wear on your car more than others for sure, it would help you reach your goal of 150k miles by getting a higher performance, as in quality, filter. For an engine swap, a simple swap can cost you around more than 2k unless you can do it yourself because that takes away labor costs. If you are wanting to swap a different model engine into your car than what your car has, other costs will come up to make the car compatible with the engine or vice versa.

Hi BrantofNorthCali,

Thank you very much for the reply.

As for the Oil I always ensure that is is premium. For sure simple driving, Insurance is expensive at the moment cant afford any more haha. In the yearly service the spark plugs and filter is always changed. As for any more upgrades I doubt it costs too much haha. Thats fine when I do the next service can fit a nice high end filter in but for spark plug just leave it as it is. Car still seems very strong done 102k so should get the 150k. As for the engine swap unfortunately I am not that skilled to do it myself so would be done with a company. Also with the engine just to make like 2.2 litre from 1.8 but I know that will be too expensive to do so probably wouldnt do it.

Thank you for all the help and advice I really do appreciate it.

Kind regards

Shamil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links