Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to the scene, Whats the differences?

PaddyH

Hi TOC,

I am yet to own a Toyota but after seeing a Rav4 T180 in person I've completely fallen for them.

I'm actively searching for an 06+ Rav4 and really like the cosmetic look of the T180's.
Can I ask what are the major differences between the T180's AND SR's and others?

Are the T180s different because they have the bigger engine and odd upgrades?

I've seen many Rav4s for sale rather than the T180 and I just don't know whether to keep waiting or get one soon.

I can imagine this gets asked quite often, apologies if it does.

Think the main difference between the T180 and the SR was power - the T180 having 177bhp and the SR 148 bhp.

A percentage of the 2.2 diesel engines could suffer heavy oil consumption and head gasket issues, and the issue was covered by Toyota on a case by case basis for 7 years or 111,846 miles, whichever occurred first. Toyota fitted modified 3/4 engines. See 

All Rav4's affected by the issues are now outside the cover. A Toyota dealer should be able to trace whether a car has had the remedial work.

• Like 1

The RAV 4.3 from 2006 started with three grades - XT3, XT4 and XT5 - with increasing levels of trim etc. and a 140bhp diesel engine.

The T180 was effectively an XT5 (possibly XT5+ in terms of trim) with a 180bhp diesel engine.

An XTR was introduced, initially as a special - IIRC something like an XT4 plus a bit minus a bit at an XT3+ type of price.

They then simplified the range around 2008 with the XTR replacing the 3, 4 and 5 and introducing as SR180 (replacing the T180) which was, effectively an XT4 level spec with the 180bhp diesel engine. Again, IIRC, all diesels at this time were manual.

From 2009/10 the 180bhp diesel was dropped and replaced by the 150bhp version and the SR became the top spec with 150bhp engine (and automatic IIRC).

A 180 is more fun (I previously owned an SR180); the 150bhp engine should be a safer bet ...

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for the replies. These are a massive help for me when it comes to buying a Rav. 

If I wanted to be risky and also have a bit more oomph the T180 is the obvious choice, however the SR180 is the new release with a smaller engine but more stable in basic terms?

Do they do a SR180 model with the interior and specs like the T180? 

No ... read what I wrote a little more carefully! :biggrin:

An SR180 from 2008/2009 has the higher output 180 bhp engine (same as T180) but lower spec interior trim.

An SR from 2010 - 2013 has the higher spec interior trim (similar to the T180) with the more conservative 150 bhp engine.

• Like 1

Ah I got it. Apologies for that I totally misunderstood your first post.

Well the search continues, thank you.

One can download a selection of previous model brochures including the Rav4 (eg March 2008 and July 2009) - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/vehicle-information.json - which will provide an idea of the different specs.