Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Exhausts?

sproutdreamer

M previous Avensis was 12 years old when I changed it for my current Avensis which is now almost 9 years old. The exhausts on both cars look pristine, are these exhausts stainless? What is the normal life for a petrol Avensis exhaust?

Using my experience of both my Mk1 T22 and Mk3 T27, the rear pipe is stainless steel, but the joints are standard steel. The middle and front pipes don't look like stainless steel because of the rust. I replaced the exhaust on the Mk1 when it was 15 years old. The replacement exhaust was mostly stainless steel including the catalyst, with on the joint flange plates made of metal, and the silencers made of aluminium. It was the small mild steel section of the original rear exhaust near the joint and first silencer that corroded. If it had been stainless steel, the original exhaust would still be on the car.

Get under the car and have a good look from front to rear. 

• Like 1

Having 2 Corolla Executives (where the exhaust is SS from new) I was surprised to see so much of the Camry exhaust was mild steel. The flanges between the back box and mid-pipe had virtually disintegrated. Fortunately my local Mr Exhaust did a high quality repair - cutting off the flanges - making a sleeve and welding the two sections together (the main body of the back box was 95% ok). I guess they are trying to keep manufacturing costs down somewhere. I suspect the 92-97 Corollas were relatively expense in their day. Sorry - I realise this has nothing to do with the Avenues.

The '93 and '94 Corollas still have their original exhausts in their entirity.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links