Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 2016 and rev counter

bartoleq

Hey
I have Aygo II 2016 basic version without rev counter.

I have the opportunity to purchase cheap used speedo with rev counter.

Can I connect it to the car in place of the previous one ? Is that will work ? what about my actual odometer ? does it show correct km?

Hi bartoleq,

Firstly, can I just say that I might not be the best to answer this as I am as new to the board as you are but a couple of things have jumped out at me, regarding your post.

Firstly, as your Aygo is less than 1 year old, messing with the electrics might just invalidate your guarantee and the older speedo/revcounter/odometer might....and I do repeat might, cause problems.

If you want a revcounter on the instrument binnacle, then I would advise to get it professionally fitted but as this would cost a fair bit, a cheaper solution would be to get an old android phone or tablet, and download the "Torque" app from Google Play Store. If you get the "Lite" version, it's free but I paid about £3.50 for the "Pro" version.  I wanted a water temperature gauge but the app gives me a whole lot more...including a revcounter.  The pro version is "Ad-free" so there are no distracting banners and a phone or tablet can be fitted to a holder either on the dash, windscreen or as I have done, using a cup holder mount.

You will need an OBD2 adaptor for bluetooth and those can be purchased from Amazon or eBay for less than £10.00.  After that it's a simple plug in and display (There are loads of "How-To" videos on You Tube) and you don't need a sim card in the phone or tablet...It really is a simple thing that really works.

Maybe it's not as neat as a built in revconter but, for me, is a much cheaper way around your problem and would give me more peace of mind.

That's probably not the answer that you were looking for, sorry about that, but it was just a thought.

All the best!

• Like 1

Just a further point, if anybody is thinking of using the Torque App, I've been using the Pro version for quite a while now and the Rev Counter on it matches the factory fitted one on my Aygo Fire, so it's very accurate.

The app also has various gauges that you can add or even customize with "Skins", these are free and I have mine set up so that the Bezels of the dials are orange, to match the instrument surrounds in the car. I have added a voltmeter, water/coolant temperature (Which is what I wanted it for in the first place) Instant MPG and a really useful "Distance until empty" gauge for the petrol as I don't totally trust the Aygo fuel gauge.  The last two aren't that exact at first as it takes a couple of fill ups to get them properly callibrated....It does this by itself and gets more and more accurate as you use it.

Overall, I'm a big fan of this app, fitting a water temperature gauge would have cost me a lot more than the app, OBD2 reader and phone holder and it just works!

I hope that helps! :smile:

• Like 1

Just out of interest, where is the OBDII port?

(Picture/s would be really useful)

Not certain on your particular car but probably under the bottom of the dash at the drivers side, behind the bonnet release (assuming the bonnet release in the same place as lots of other toyotas).

Hi Plob,

As you have the mark one Aygo (Same as me)....Follow the steering column down on the left hand side...There is a tiny parcel shelf between it and the centre console and the OBDII port is directly under that.

If you get one of the blue OBD readers fom Amazon or Ebay:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488307174&sr=8-6&keywords=obd2+reader 

you won't even see it as it will be under that shelf. However if you want to remove it easily, get one of the longer ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Wireless-DashCommand/dp/B004KL0I9I/ref=sr_1_11?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1488307307&sr=8-11&keywords=obd2+reader+bluetooth

That's the one that I've got and it works a treat. Also being that bit longer, you can see it and the lights on it remind you to remove it, if you want.....Just make sure that you get a Blutooth adaptor/reader as the Wi-Fi versions don't work with the Torque App.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links