Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Red flashing light

Alex-avensis

Hi,

the red light above the central fresh vents  flashes constantly on my 1997 Avensis. Why does  flash? and how do I get it to stop?  My fob stopped working years ago, I now just use the key.

Thanks

Hi Alex,

Does it stop flashing just when you start the car?

It just sounds like the immobilizer to me, starts flashing once you remove the key.

• Like 2

That is the alarm security light. Obviously the alarm sound has been disabled or faulty, otherwise it would be going off all the time.

With regards the key not working on Mk1 Avensis, there is a way to resync the keys. The keys can stop working even if they have a new or good batteries. It happened to me and changing batteries did not work. I found the solution on the forum and in the handbook.

Here are the posts:- 

Another solution if the central locking does not work, is the 'Dome' fuse located in the engine compartment fuse box. That can degrade without blowing. Again I had this fault and changed it.

Sorry for the extra info. The reason for this - getting the keys to work with the car again, may solve your security light problem.  

• Like 1

1. Thank you gentlemen for your kind replies. The red light flashes all the time,even when driving. Konrad, I tried the method you highlighted about syncing the fob, but it did not work I`m afraid. So as it is, red light constantly flashing, fob does not work and key only operates drivers door. Apart from that it`s a great car, smooth, quiet, refined, spacious got to love it   :)
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alex-avensis said:
  1. Thank you gentlemen for your kind replies. The red light flashes all the time,even when driving. Konrad, I tried the method you highlighted about syncing the fob, but it did not work I`m afraid. So as it is, red light constantly flashing, fob does not work and key only operates drivers door. Apart from that it`s a great car, smooth, quiet, refined, spacious got to love it   :)

Alex,

I had 12.5 years of owning my '98 Mk1 GLS, so know exactly what you mean. I sold it a year ago and it is still going strong. if it were not for the up and coming emissions regs in London, I would have kept it. 

It was a match for my Mk3, even at motorway speeds with one gear less! Smooth and quiet. Both 1.8 engines.

I hope my current car serves me well.   

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links