Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ECU Wrong and does it "Learn"

Cooket3

I hope this is in the right area.

Long story but i bought my auris and has super poor mpg - check my other thread for more detail.

This thread is about my ECU/computer which is completely wrong when it calculates the average mpg. It says I am getting 27.6mpg but manual calculations are 35mpg, still very bad. Because the ECU/computer cannot calculate this correctly, could it be affecting the engine management etc and making the car perform poor?

Can I take the car into a toyota garage to see ig the ECU is broken/corrupt and a new one needs loading back on?

Does the ECU also learn of the current drivers style and adapt the engine management?

Thank You

It is quite common for dash fuel consumption displays to be inaccurate. I've owned various Toyota, VW and Peugeot/Citroen cars and the fuel computers have been inaccurate to varying degrees on all of them.This won't affect your actual fuel consumption, or general running of the car, although the car running badly due to another fault may cause the fuel consumption display to be even more inaccurate than normal.

The ECUs on these engines are self learning, however it's a myth that engine ECUs on any car learn the driver's driving style. They simply learn the parameters of the engine and fuel system components. If the settings have been corrupted it will clear them if you leave the car Battery disconnected for some time, eg overnight. 

It's generally off tbh. How often do you rest the average MPG. 

Also what engine is it ... Because even at 35 that could be conceived as poor 

Iirc it's a T180  with a tuning box & also iirc the EGR blocked off. Given that it is winter & therefore economy drops by a couple of mpg 35 is about  where RealMPG average should be (yes, some will get better & some worse) http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2007/22-d-4d-t180 .

it is an sr180, tuning box has been removed last month and the egr is connected for the last full tank, which I am topping up today and ill post online tomorrow my mpg results

I would also change the fuel you use to premium if you don't already ... Leave the EGR blank in place. 

I am using premium fuel already, BP ultimate. I cannot leave the blanking plate in place as my car keeps going in limp home mode and I dont know how to get around it

Does your EGR blank have a small hole in it or was it a solid blank. 

it is a solid blank and came with sealant, which I used. I have pics of the blank on my other post if you want to look to see if I did it right! the sensor was still connected too, but i thought disconnecting it would be just as bad

With yours being a 180 to use a full blank you need to have the EGR mapped out due to the airflow sensor in the EGR, 

So if you can take it off you can either drill a small hole in it or purchase one with a hole in it and fit it 

Another option is to have the car mapped with an EGR delete keeping your solid blank plus then you could have an abit more grunt and it could also improve your economy

Thanks ill try drilling a hole in on my next fuel tank top up for mpg calculation. I assume the hole will let in a little gas but nowhere near as much

Ive been reading other posts regarding EGR blanking and some say blanking it off actually decreases the life span as the engine burns hotter and oil temp goes up etc and mpg goes down? Ive always believed blanking the egr off would be goos but these few posts on pistonheads differ and sounds technical too

Never had any issues and i have mine mapped out with full blank ... My engines smoother more responsive and the mpg went up ... And I've got over 130,000 miles of blanked EGR across both cars 

When I blanked mine it was smoother and more responsive but had worse mpg, maybe because my car kept going into limp home mode

Yeah mine was removed off the ECU so i just installed a blank and left it and it was ok ... But if it's not mapped out and blanked the continuous limp mode will kill your MPG as the car knows it's got a problem even though it hasn't and just provides what it can to get you where you can ... Clever really but also a pain 

• 2 weeks later...

Took the plate off and cleaned out the egr with an ice cream scoop! got 41mpg on my 5 hour motorway trip, the trip cpu still said 27.9mpg!!, better but not amazing. Im going to put some red x in and dpf cleaner additive

Did you reset the average mpg ... Also you should consider a carbon clean and a bottle of diesel power plus over redex and dog cleaner 

Or

fill up with premium and add a little bit of 2 stroke oil in (ford Mondeo trick)... 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes every trip and the main average mpg was reset. I fill up with premium diesel and have added Injector cleaner then turbo cleaner and next tank DPF cleaner addative.

According to my average mpg I was getting 60+ on the motorway in 4th gear doing over 60mph, when in 5th and 6th I get way less. Somethings not right, could it be something to do with the engine etc before the turbo kicks in?