Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Who to use for Insurance for a stage 1 auris 2.0 remap

DAF XF

Hi folks, have been trying a few different things to breathe a little bit of new life and better mpg out of my 2008 2.0 sr and know a really respected company who can remap it from 126bhp (I dread to think what it is 9 years on with 150,000 miles) to 155.

in my head it's not that crazy a jump and I've been told driving it sensibly will allow approx 10% fuel saving. Company will also return to standard within 2 weeks if not happy and refund so that would give me time to put two or three tanks through it to see. 

Problem is insuring...I somehow thought it would be reasonably straightforward given I've had a licence 8 or 9 years no points no convictions no claims. My current insurer has refused and none of the others my broker uses will quote although one mentioned £1400 which considering I'm paying £500ish at minute he didn't pursue. I had thought it might stick two or three hundred quid more on. one company has a base rate of  over £800 but before providing any more info are mentioning that they would need exact details of change in performance and engineers report. I would have thought with each car bring potentially different (especially at my cars age) that's a bit impossible until it's done and put on a dyno at which point I've already paid and may then be refused insurance!

Chatted to a couple of folk including the remap company and they suggested green light but they won't quote me as I'm over their 15,000 mile  per year limit as I do about 20,000-25,000.

i know most probably never declare it but due to my work and Sod's law where if it'll happen to anyone it would happen to me I wouldn't consider doing it unless I'm covered. 

So who do people use? I have a list with Adrian flux, Chris knott and lv but want as many options as possible to try and gain a competitive price. 

I should imagine an insurance company will find it next to impossible to find out it's been remapped. Not like they're gonna dyno test it in the event of a claim.

A tuning black box would be a different matter though.

• Like 1

Now that I've tried to insure it though I bet the first thing they would do would be to look at the ecu though. I'm sure they are keen to explore any avenue to possibly avoid paying out. 

7 minutes ago, DAF XF said:

Now that I've tried to insure it though I bet the first thing they would do would be to look at the ecu though. I'm sure they are keen to explore any avenue to possibly avoid paying out. 

Doubt it, they haven't got the time or money to dyno test them. Plus, some Manufacturer's require special equipment and specific software to read the ECU parameters.

They will look out for performance filters, black boxes and anything that doesn't look manufacturer standard though.

• Like 1

It's very easy for them to find out if it's mapped one ... All they need to do is have it plugged in to look at the ECU ... Most won't and they are hard to detect if done correctly ... But your better just insuring it ... Personally I have insurance with Adrian flux as it's very modified and also we get it a deal through an car club I am a member of 

My Auris is mapped,

Full intake upgrade 

Full exhaust system upgrade

Lighting upgrade 

Wheels,

Suspension

Body work altered 

Plus loads of other bits and pieces. 

• Like 1

got a reasonably quote online from flux direct and then googled them to see if they're different from Adrian flux and they seem to be linked? There seemed an extraordinarily large number of bad reviews which was slightly offputting. 

As an aside anyone know about carbon cleaning. I've done some research myself but the company who do remaps do one that is 'safer' and doesn't have hydrogen. This was explained as hydrogen burns too hot and can make the metal within the engine brittle. Read an alternative Scottish company who claim that this is incorrect. 

So any thoughts on that from anyone?

Flux Direct is a trading name used by Adrian Flux - easily found out by looking at the 'About us' section of the website. Adrian Flux also provide Toyota Owners Club insurance - see 

Quite common for insurance brokers and companies to operate under more than one brand. For example: Direct Line also own Churchill, Privilege,and Green Flag; LV own Frizzells and Brittania Rescue; etc.

• Like 1

A friend of mine works at Adrian flux and although flux direct are named as Adrian direct they don't use the same insurance as Adrian flux themselves 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links