Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Diff whine - I think.

mytonkatoy

Hi all

Some thoughts and advice needed please.

Noticed a slight whine from the running gear a few months ago and it has got gradually worse. Only starts at around 30mph and mostly disappeares by around 50mph. Makes no difference if free wheeling or on the power.

Had a new UV joint fitted a few weeks back and asked garage to look at the wheel bearings but he said they seemed fine. Chap reckoned the noise was the tyres (general grabbers which are around 18 months old but still with plenty of tread). 

Noticed the fronts had slight uneven wear on them so had tracking checked and it was out a little. Had it aligned and at the same time swapped fronts for rears. No difference in noise.

Swapped sides on the rears, no difference.

Dug out my old Dueler's and made an appointment at local tyre place to fit them to confirm if it was the tyres or not. When arrived spoke to the chap who said it didn't sound like tyres as they would not stop at higher speeds so he took it for a spin and reckoned it was the front diff not the tyres. He said he's got a couple of 4X4's and that diff noise is not that unusual on a vehicle such as this (Hilux invincible 2010) and needn't mean an imminent problem. He suggested I change the oil to see if it made an improvement. Don't know if the oil has ever been changed, it's been serviced since I had it at the local garage. It's done 80,000 miles.

So..........any thoughts on above and tips on how to do this. I'm fairly competent mechanically so fancy doing it myself to save a few pennies or are special tools required and hence would this be best left to a garage? There are a few vids on the net which look straightforward enough but I can't find anything specifically on the hilux.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Thanks TAuris

I'll have a wade through and see what I can find. Can I take it that the Hilux Surf is much the same vehicle as the UK spec Hilux, mechanically wise?