Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Considering a RAV4 SR 2.2 - any dpf issues?

markquinton

Hi All

To put it simply I am currently considering a 2011 Rav4 SR with the 2.2 D-cat engine. However my job does entail quite a few short journeys and the occasional longer journey. The distance is dependent on where the customers I am visiting live in and around the city that I work. I know for low mileage I should really be looking for a petrol engined vehicle but there is not a decent petrol engine available in the RAV. Does anyone know if there are known issues with dpf on the 2.2 when used for short journeys or does the automatic regeneration cycle work well when required?

Regards

Mark

The DPF on this vehicle is much like any other - an utter PIA. Essentially IIRC regeneration takes place when the engine is hot and after a certain amount of running time - which in turn is governed by the ECU. Clearly then, it depends how you use the car, but if predominantly used for short journeys, then the regeneration may not activate, the DPF will subsequently become clogged up quicker than if you used it for predominantly longer journeys, and you may be faced with prematurely large bill for replacing it.

However, if used for shorter journeys, there are a few ways to postpone clogging up of the DPF

Use the best low sulphur fuel

Use a low ash oil

Give the thing a blast every week or so - constant 3000 rpm for at least 30 mins with all electrics on should frig the ECU into a forced regeneration. You should see bluish smoke from the exhaust. 

Certain garages offer in-situ DPF cleaning services when the warning lights of doom appear on the dash. Cannot verify their effectiveness, but may be worth a punt considering the price of a replacement DPF.    

Pity really as otherwise a fine diesel.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your feedback. Just a shame that the market is dominated by diesels, very little choice if you wish to opt for petrol. 

Many manufacturers were encouraged to manufacture diesels by various governments. Not an unreasonable premise as diesel engines are a very efficient form of propulsion and have many advantages over a petrol engine. What governments failed to appreciate was the increasing levels of debatable emissions equipment required of a diesel - notably from the EU - such as DPF, EGR, etc which by fitting to a diesel engine negates many of those advantages over the petrol.      

2 hours ago, markquinton said:

Thanks very much for your feedback. Just a shame that the market is dominated by diesels, very little choice if you wish to opt for petrol. 

While the SR came as diesel, auto only, Toyota produced a very comparable petrol equivalent in the form of an XT-R of the same age. You'd be looking towards a higher spec'd model to get equivalent interior trim - something like a 2.0 V-matic XT-R Style/Premium Nav 5d M-Drive S ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

What governments failed to appreciate was the increasing levels of debatable emissions equipment required of a diesel - notably from the EU - such as DPF, EGR, etc which by fitting to a diesel engine negates many of those advantages over the petrol.      

It isn't just diesels which are being fitted with EGR's - numerous petrol models also have these as standard. Gasoline particulate filters (GPF's) are also close to being fitted, especially on direct injection petrol engines. VAG will be fitting GPF's to their TSI and TSFI petrol engines from later this year.

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It isn't just diesels which are being fitted with EGR's - numerous petrol models also have these as standard. Gasoline particulate filters (GPF's) are also close to being fitted, especially on direct injection petrol engines. VAG will be fitting GPF's to their TSI and TSFI petrol engines from later this year.

Excellent news for VAG dealers and garage mechanics then......Considering the detrimental effect on combustion efficiency and the increase in fuel consumption caused by even a partially clogged DPF (and now a GPF) I think the any net advantage in fitting these abominations is spurious to say the least.  

41 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Excellent news for VAG dealers and garage mechanics then......Considering the detrimental effect on combustion efficiency and the increase in fuel consumption caused by even a partially clogged DPF (and now a GPF) I think the any net advantage in fitting these abominations is spurious to say the least.  

We are all gutted then :biggrin:

Blimey... who needs a diesel engined car?  Many major citys in the UK are considering banning diesel powered cars from the city centres because of the choking pollution; what then? 

My next car will be a basic petrol powered car, at least 25 years old and with none of the engine management, digital emmision control crap.  All I need is an ignition switch, light switch, manual window winders and a mechanical door latch.  Modern cars are becoming an expensive PIA with no style.

Thanks for the feedback. Have to say I looked at a 2.0 i-vtec accord and CRV and they do have huge appeal due to their reliable trustworthy technology.

Yes, i can see me going back to buying a decent classic car, possibly a Datsun Z240 or the good old Triumph TR7 or Herald, all of which i had and very little went wrong with them.....As long as you by a decent one in the first place.

Mr T actually makes very fine diesel engines. Like many other manufacturers though, reliability and efficiency of the engine is undoubtedly hampered by the ill-thought out legislation relating to the emissions equipment required. In addition, whilst a turbo is a very worthy performance addition, it is also detrimental to reliability. In my experience, turbos have expired in one way or another long before the useful life of the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links