Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Side lights too dim

byzantian

The front side lights on my 2011 IQ (1-litre) are pathetic,really rubbish, I can't believe Toyota didn't sort this out at the design stage. I never rely on them alone as other drivers will not see you. Even during the day they are useless. Is it easy to upgrade them to brighter bulbs and if so, which ones and are they easy to fit. Anyone done the upgrade?

The purpose of sidelights or position lights is to make the vehicle more visible to others (pedestrians, other drivers, etc) rather than provide additional lighting to drive by, and this is the reason they are commonly only 5 watts. 

On newer cars daytime running lights, which are only required at the front of the vehicles, are more effective as a means of making one's vehicle more visible on approach.

Having said that, there are circumstances where sidelights should be used - eg when parked temporarily, during daylight when visibility is reduced, etc.

bulbs do deteriorate with age, so it may be useful to replace with newer bulbs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The purpose of sidelights or position lights is to make the vehicle more visible to others (pedestrians, other drivers, etc) rather than provide additional lighting to drive by, and this is the reason they are commonly only 5 watts. 

On newer cars daytime running lights, which are only required at the front of the vehicles, are more effective as a means of making one's vehicle more visible on approach.

Having said that, there are circumstances where sidelights should be used - eg when parked temporarily, during daylight when visibility is reduced, etc.

Bulbs do deteriorate with age, so it may be useful to replace with newer bulbs. 

I appreciate they are not to drive by, but they are so small and inconsequential I can't imagine they will be visible to other drivers. But I will get the bulbs checked.

Be careful of putting higher wattage bulbs in it as the fittings and wiring will only be specced to provide a 5w bulb.

I never use the sidelights myself, just go straight to headlights and as I have the auto lights that does it for you really. Auto lights just turn on the headlights, they don't turn on the sidelights first then the headlights when it gets dimmer if you know what I mean.

Some of us have fitted daytime running lights to the iQ so they are on all the time unless you turn the headlights on when they go out again. They are very good at making a car more visible on the road.

Craig.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links