Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

V-Belt replacement

TAuris

I decided to replace the v-belt, part # : 90916-W2023 (stop/start). There is also 90916-W2024 (???). I removed the wheel just to degrease the lower engine bay, but this is not necessary.

wingLiner_zpsh8djxnto.jpg

jack car and remove front o/s wheel. Remove both pop rivets and pull back cover and hold it down with a bungie cord (sorry no image)

Tensioner2_zpsc7tjvpeg.jpg

The mechanical tensioner is self-adjusting, there is no need to mess around with force and deflection measurements. Using a 14mm wrench, rotate the tensioner counter-clockwise and lock it in place with a dowel pin or a suitable allen key.

Tensioner_zps6wuekqxk.jpg

The old belt can now be removed. I found it easier to run the new belt from the top; alternator, waterpump, compressor and finally slip it over the crank pulley. Care must be taken that the belt clears the protusion (bevel) near the crank pulley before releasing the tension from the tensioner.

VBelt3_zpsgfx7xq0p.jpg

After making sure that the belt is sitting properly in the grooves, rotate the engine (two complete revolutions) by hand by turning the crank pulley with a 19mm wrench whilst observing the belt.

VBelt_zpsdfsgxp3l.jpg

Start the car and observe for any anomalies.

• Like 1

Great post. Should be a 'How to change drive belt for the 1.3 engine'. 

I hope the Avensis ZR engine drive belt is as easy to change - it uses the two bolt tension and lock system, plus the force and deflection measurement. My previous Avensis (1.8 7A-FE also uses the same two bolt tension and lock system, but used three individual belts. I had to change two of the belts, when the crankshaft pulley (harmonic damper) separated at the rubber filling. The belts were shredded. Luckily it happened when I just left my home. I had spares so limped home the short distance. Had to wait a few days for a new replacement pulley. Since my current car has the same adjustment and only one belt, replacement is easier. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links