Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris brake upgrades/improvements?

ali57994

Hi, just wondering if anybody has upgraded or knows of any good upgrades/improvements for the mk1 1.6 auris? eg. master cyclinder off the 2.2 diesel, brakes of another car with same fitment, big brake kits, different pads etc...  They stop but there not very sharp or reassuring, at least not on the top half of the pedal.   Any advise would be much appreciated.

Probably a change of pads and/or discs & pads will be all that you need & is likely to be cheapest & have least effect on your insurance.

On my 2007 T25 Avensis on the oem setup it was very similar - the car ultimately stopped but there was little feel or confidence inspired. I changed to MTEC discs &  Ferodo Premier (not the cheapest) pads & was very happy with the results but others have used Mintex/Mintex  & others with similar results.

• Like 1

I would change the brake fluid and make sure the brakes pads move freely within the calipers. If the discs and pads are worn, change them as Scott said. I would not go through the expense of changing the calipers and mounting brackets to fit larger brakes.  

My current car ('09 T27 Tourer) has Apec brakes, but a problem I had on the worn Bosch brakes, is starting to show with the current brakes, which are 14 months old. The brake action and feel is starting to be inconsistent. Sometimes there is an early action, other times there is not much braking force, then a little more pressure and the brakes come on very firmly. It is like the brakes need bleeding or a caliper is sticking. I may inspect and clean the brakes making sure the pads move freely. I am also considering changing the brake fluid. I did this for my previous car a couple of year ago, and that helped improve the braking feel.    

I can't advice on particular brands except avoid cheap brands.

Thanks for the advice, I think I might just look at replacing the pads and discs, I have recently done the brake fluid so I know that's ok. I read that on the corolla you could adjust the brake pedal and I was just wondering if anyone has done it on the auris (if it's possible)?

3 hours ago, ali57994 said:

Thanks for the advice, I think I might just look at replacing the pads and discs, I have recently done the brake fluid so I know that's ok. I read that on the corolla you could adjust the brake pedal and I was just wondering if anyone has done it on the auris (if it's possible)?

I have a 2009 1.6 petrol Auris and find the standard brakes pretty good to be honest. It may be that all yours needs is a change of pads and discs.

If yours is the 1.6 Valvematic engine (rather than the 1.6 vvti) then also consider that these do have a brake vacuum pump powering the servo assistance rather like on a diesel, so that is another thing to check if the pedal action feels a bit poor.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links