Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help with head unit wiring

Jack p

Can someone please help me i recently bought a new toyota celica 1997 and it didnt have any headunit in it i purchased a kenwood kmmbt302 bluetooth headunit and i thought i could just plug adapters in but when i pulled out the wiring from the car it was a bloddy mess can someone help me on what im supposed to do because i cant really afford to pay for an install.

20170305_113156.jpg

Unfortunately this is the type of unnecessary bodge wiring that I hate. If the Kenwood came with ISO connection cable, then what you need to do is don't cut that cable. What you need to do is repair (solder and shrink wrap) the cables Toyota to the original blue connectors. Notice the remaining bits of cables in the plugs - just match the colours. If you can get that sorted, then you can obtain the PC2-17-4 Toyota to ISO cable via eBay or similar. With this cable just plug the Kenwood to the PC2-17-4 adapter lead, and the adapter lead to the blue Toyota plugs. That is what I did with my old Avensis. No cable cutting and no risk of shorting and possibly a fire. It is hard to change stereos of damaged connectors, as it can be hard to find replacement cabling for unit of butchered cables, especially if you want to sell the stereo on in the future! 

Here is a link to the Toyota to ISO - PC2-17-4 adapter cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-17-4-ISO-Stereo-Head-Unit-Harness-Adaptor-Wiring-Loom-Lead-For-Toyota-Yaris-/351035075556

As I said before, I hate cutting cables because it causes problems and now there is a standard (ISO) which is basically plug and play. You can then change stereos without issue in the future. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links