Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 potential cooling issue?

shenren90

I have an odd issue with my GEN 7 Celica T Sport GT.

About 7 months ago, I discovered my radiator was leaking, this then coupled a week later with the fan blade managing to snap off (no idea how!) Either way got the radiator replaced with a new one and got a set of fans.

Everything was fine but I noticed that my coolant level was on full when engine was warm and on low when it was cold, sometimes it would drop below the min line. I would add coolant but it would always spit it out again after a long drive.

Thinking there was air in the system I decided the ‘burp’ it myself. Followed the procedure but all that happened was as the engine was getting warmer the coolant level keep rising to the top of the bottle.

I didn’t check the level for a couple of weeks and when I did it was right down almost hardly any in the tank. I filled it to the full line but again its dropping down the tank when it gets colder. I have checked all around the radiator and there is no signs of any coolant leaking out.

One thing I have noticed is if I’m driving the car and the temp gauge is on the 3rd bar, if I hit lift 7 times out of 10 it will drop the reading to the 2nd bar and stay there for around 5 mins and goes back up again.

Also, the heaters always blow nice and hot. The car has also developed this horrible rattle when the engine is cold. This increases with the revs of the car and disappears when the car is warm. Not sure if the fault lies with the water pump, but it could be a pulley tensioner.

Does anyone have any pointers to things I should be looking at?    

• 2 months later...

Don't worry - the level will only reach the mark and should be checked with the engine warmed up eg after driving. When cold it will always read low. This is how it should be on these cars. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links