Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed limiter

Bitch1001

Does anyone know if this needs to be set every time you start the car ... or is it case of once it's set you just turn it off or on ??? 

I'm looking to use it around town daily mainly to keep within 30 mph 

never used a speed limiter before so any help would be appreciated 

Think it needs to be set each time.

If it’s the same as the Avensis, you need to set it each time you get to the required speed that you want to limit it at, them toggle up or down on the stalk to finely adjust the speed limit, on the display if required.

There’s speed limiters fitted to other vehicles that allow you to set it, at say 30MPH, which is a bit more useful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update my original thread 

I use the limiter daily now for around the town set for 30 mph 

very easy to use .... and simple to switch off when I go to a higher speed road 

well worth using if your heavy footed like me ... keeps u under speed limit 

• Like 3

I agree its very useful, especially now we have the new penalties for speeding in force. Its just comes natural now to set it each time I start driving and together with the Safety Sense, Road Sign Assis, I got no excuse for speeding.

I've changed my car since I last posted here, and the Speed Limiter switch is now a button on the steering wheel on the Avensis, a lot handier.

• Like 1

Does the speed limiter actually cut the power at the set speed, or just beep/flash a warning?

• Like 1

Both. Except when your travelling downhill, it doesn't restrict the speed but it warns you, if you are above the set speed limit that you've set. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, estate said:

Both. Except when your travelling downhill, it doesn't restrict the speed but it warns you, if you are above the set speed limit that you've set. 

What a great gizmo to have. Looking forward to trading in my current Aygo, for a newer model, next year :smile:

@fordulike

David, you must have read my mind as I was just about to ask the same thing. :smile:

As Frank (Estate) rightly says, now that the new speed penalties have come into force, these things are going to be worth their weight in gold. On our Mark 1 Aygos, the speedo can be about 3 mph out as compared with my Garmin Satnav and my Torque app (Both of which always seem to agree) even at 30mph.  I don't know which is the most accurate but if I'm trying to keep to 29 in a 30mph zone, I always seem to have somebody (usually in a white van) up my backside, trying to get me to go faster.  To be honest, I don't know which to trust but I try and stick with the factory fitted speedo, even if my other readouts say 26 or 27 mph.

I know that you have to be constantly alert when driving but if these were available as an after market thing, at a reasonable cost for the mark 1, I might be interested.

• Like 1

For some reason, the speed limiter is omitted from the x-shift.

How strange ... I thought it would be standard across the new models 

i drive a orange twist x cite.... 

i love it ... I just wish it had a bit more power and they had two engines sizes to choose from like the Citroen has

It'll be something to do with the X-shifts robotized gearbox. If that relies on throttle position and revs to work effectively, then the speed limiter will interfere.

1 hour ago, Bitch1001 said:

I love it ... I just wish it had a bit more power and they had two engines sizes to choose from like the Citroen has

The PSA 1.2 engine is available in the Aygo in a couple of markets. It is covered in the full owners manual.

4 hours ago, fordulike said:

It'll be something to do with the X-shifts robotized gearbox. If that relies on throttle position and revs to work effectively, then the speed limiter will interfere.

that makes sense. Probably why my X-play doesn't come with a speed limiter.

On Saturday April 29, 2017 at 8:50 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The PSA 1.2 engine is available in the Aygo in a couple of markets. It is covered in the full owners manual.

If that is anything like the PSA diesel in the original Aygo they may not want it so much... :laugh:

Ooooh but if you could have the 1.2 turbo from the Aurisssss.... :naughty:

• 3 months later...

I'm brand new to speed limiters - but there's one on my new (to me) 2016 plate Aygo.  Couple of questions: I realise it needs resetting each time (see earlier posts) - fair enough, though it sounds a bit of a pain.  But can you change its default from 20 mph?  Or should you set it, in the first instance, at a speed of less than 20 mph? Otherwise, it seems to me, if you engage it at, say, 25 mph, it'll say"You're going too fast, pal!" and immediately operate the slow-down procedure whilst you're trying to fiddle with it. 

Finally, presumably, it's based on speedometer/displayed speed - so it'll over-read your real speed?  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, parkstonebay said:

.... presumably, it's based on speedometer/displayed speed - so it'll over-read your real speed

Legislation in the UK dictates that 

"The speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed. For all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph. For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph."

So to remain legal, speedometers in UK vehicles have to over-read within the above parameters.

On 10/03/2017 at 3:30 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think it needs to be set each time.

It does need to be set every time. Speed limit is wiped every time car is turned off. 

Just to confirm, Nick, it'll revert to the 20 mph default every time the engine's switched off, with no way of increasing that default?

That means you have to set the beast, first time it's used each trip, when you're doing less than 20 mph, in order that it doesn't kick in straight away, which is presumably what would happen if you tried to set it when you're doing more than 20?  (Perhaps not the safest thing to be doing when you're driving, anyway!)

Thanks again

Andrew

Must be a different system of the Aygo compared to the Avensis. 

I press the Speed Limiter button before I set off and the icon is displayed on the dashboard. The system isn't activated until I toggle the stalk on the steering wheel; this is what I would normally do when I reach the required speed I don't want to exceed, this speed is now displayed on the dashboard. If the displayed speed is below or above, then I toggle up or down on the stalk. 

It certainly not a safety issue on the Avensis, as you can shift the stalk without looking at it, just like the indicator stalk and looking at the speed is part of normal driving. 

On a footnote I always display the vehicle speed digitally, as it's "in your face" what speed your doing. 

The speed limiter does operate in a similar way to the Avensis and to our i20 (though controlled by switches on the steering wheel).

To activate one presses the button on the end of the lever - to deactivate, one pushes the button again.

When activated and when one reaches the desired speed, one pushes the lever down. The set speed is displayed on the information display. One can easily increase or decrease the set speed by holding the lever until the desired speed is reached. Fine adjustment by lightly pushing the lever up or down as required and releasing.

Cancel the limiter - pull the lever towards oneself. Resume the limiter - push the lever up.

Once one has got used to using the system, operation isn't a safety issue. Same as using the indicators or the wipers

9 hours ago, parkstonebay said:

Just to confirm, Nick, it'll revert to the 20 mph default every time the engine's switched off, with no way of increasing that default?

That means you have to set the beast, first time it's used each trip, when you're doing less than 20 mph, in order that it doesn't kick in straight away, which is presumably what would happen if you tried to set it when you're doing more than 20?  (Perhaps not the safest thing to be doing when you're driving, anyway!)

Thanks again

Andrew

I didn't think there would be much difference, if any Mike. 

parkstonebay must be having a problem understanding how to operate it. Perhaps reading your post will help. 

I'll give it a good play in the drive, first, to get used to things.  Then on a quiet bit of road - if I can find one! Thanks again , everyone.

Mine is set to 75mph all the time on my daily commute (I find this a nice cruising speed). I travel 130 miles each day and 90 miles of that is dual carriageway and motorway. 

I absolutely LOVE having the limiter, compared with my old Aygo not having it at all. I can just plant my foot and cover many miles without having to constantly check / adjust my speed. 

Some of you may know this, but if you tap the stalk up or down it increases / decreases speed by 1 mph at a time, but if you hold the stalk up or down it shifts in 5mph increments.. really handy when im in a 50mph roadworks stretch on the m.way then back to national speed limit.

Once you have used it regularly its so simple, and becomes hard to live without on long trips !

4 hours ago, AYGOSTU said:

Once you have used it regularly its so simple, and becomes hard to live without on long trips !

I agree Stuart.

One of the improvements they made on the updated Avensis was to move the Speed Limiter activating switch from the RH side of the dashboard onto the steering wheel. More convenient now. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links