Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Change fan belts on 4EFE engine

Arrry

Hi, my sons Corolla fan belts need changing.It is an 4E FE 1.4 engine.   It looks a straight forward job but where do I start ? Looking at it , the belt on the left looks like you undo the bolt holding the alternator and slide it along to loosen the belt. The other belt looks more more complicated. However having loosened the bolt holding the alternator it doesn't move and I don't know wether to force it or not. Also the other belt looks more complicated and I am not sure what to loosen first. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Old Codger I looked at the post . Do you know if there is just one bolt to undo on the slider that's attached to the alternator ? I have loosened it but the alternator will not move. Is it a matter of getting some force like a crowbar behind it ? 

Do not know any more that whats in Micks post.

He's not usually far from the forum, but you could  give him a PM with a link to this post to catch his attention, sure he will be happy to help.

There's two bolts. The one you have seen which is at the top of the alternator and then you need to loosen the bolts further down. These bolts allow the alternator to pivot so you can push the alternator back for the slack.

You need plenty of penetrating fluid for this. I found that the bolt holding the alternator to the engine seized and took me the best part of a week of evenings to shift it. All because the top bolt broke off and I need to get it out to extract the bolt.

I wasted a lot of time with WD40, I had great success with Plusgas. (Use it for everything now, short of cooking with it!). I found that soaking the pivot bolt underneath and moving it back and forward a few times, then more Plusgas loosened it up for me. I did end up with a crowbar though and positioned it where the bolt at the top is attached, then used my body weight to push it back.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links