Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

eco mode on 1.3L manual?

GGA

Hi everyone

Is there a way to keep eco mode off all the time?

I find out that my 1.3L MT will turn eco mode on every time i start the engine.

So i would have to press the eco button to turn  off eco mode every time before i start the engine.

Any idea?...

Thank you

It can be done at the Toyota dealer, they have to hook it up the diagnostic machine to do it, they can also alter the sensitivity of the auto headlights as well, I think that has 3 settings.

When ECO is switched off by the dealer, I don't know if you can then switch it on via the switch for the journey i.e. in reverse mode to what it is now.

I have just got in to the habit of switching ECO off every journey.

Out of interest what is wrong with eco mode? I have had my IQ 1.3 7 years and done about 60,000 miles in it and it has not given me any problem.

On the other hand I am not sure it saves a lot of fuel. The engine seems to stop for a very short time before it starts itself again. I reckon if they took the trouble of having it they should have fitted a slightly bigger Battery so that the engine could be cut a little longer.

I'm on 7 years and just over 105000 miles, i just ignore it, cant see the point in turning it off really, in stop start traffic it'll just turn itself off after a while. I had a new Battery fitted a couple of weks ago and was more worried when it didn't turn itself off.

I just think long term, you end up spending more money than it saves on replacing the Battery and or starter motor sooner then you would without it.

It was the original Battery that was replaced, and she's a 59 plate ,, and only then because it was leaking a bit,i really wouldn't bother getting it turned off

I thought ECO mode only affects the gear into changing in lower rpms for better fuel efficiency does it also affect the electronical parts of the car? Drains out the Battery?

We are talking about the stop start feature here. When my IQ 3 stops at traffic lights and is put in neutral the engine stops and then either at some point in the future automatically or when you depress the clutch starts again. I was timing it this morning and for me the engine cuts for about 20 seconds before it starts automatically. It would have been better if they could have increased this time to the usual time you are stopped at traffic lights.

the length of time its off depends on how much electrics you're running , condition of the Battery and if the cars warmed up enough.i can do 46 miles to work in the winter and the engine doesn't turn off at all, today come off j3 m6 doesn't turn off , lights at the ricoh roundabout a mile later , turns off. I just let it do its own thing now. My diesel ssangyong turns off at every opportunity, but sit there with the radio on and no engine, it warns you of Battery drain after a couple of minutes

I've run two Auris 1.33's with stop/start without any problems. Things which affect the stop/start operation include ambient temperature, the charge state of the Battery, what electrical systems are being used (eg, heater, fan, stereo, heated rear window, air con), etc, as to how long the system stays in stop mode (eg, heater, fan, stereo, heated rear window, air con, etc). It is not just about fuel economy, but also reducing pollution.

I think it would be a better system if when the engine stopped, it automatically turned the headlights down to sidelights and stopped the heater fan from blowing. If it is a cold day and you have heater on, it just starts to blow cold air as the coolant is no longer being pumped around, like wise on a hot day with aircon. The pump stops you so start to get warm air blowing in.

Mine was about 3 years old when the Battery was replaced under warranty, since then I always switch ECO off.

My 1.3 manual car has done about 55k miles now, 7 years old and still on the original Battery and starter. 

I have never turned the ECO mode off and wouldn't anyway. It doesn't change anything on the car with regards to how it drives, all it does is stop the engine when stationary, in neutral and with the clutch up. 

The starter on the iQ is different to most cars as it's constantly meshed with the flywheel gear so the starter doesn't have a solenoid and gear that moves as convential starters do so they are far less prone to wearing out. 

Just start the car and drive it, let it sort itself out and if it wants to stop the engine when stationary, let it, it's only saving you fuel.

Craig.

On 14/03/2017 at 0:16 PM, Soeley said:

I think it would be a better system if when the engine stopped, it automatically turned the headlights down to sidelights

Which would make the car less visible when temporarily stationery in poor conditions or at night, and would be questionable from a road legality viewpoint.

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which would make the car less visible when temporarily stationery in poor conditions or at night, and would be questionable from a road legality viewpoint.

Well in that case it should be illegal to drive with just sidelights on! I never do it either headlights or none for me. Plus most of the time cars are stopped because the are in stationary traffic or at a junction, so there shouldn't be any question about the car not being visible.

19 minutes ago, Soeley said:

Well in that case it should be illegal to drive with just sidelights on! I never do it either headlights or none for me. Plus most of the time cars are stopped because the are in stationary traffic or at a junction, so there shouldn't be any question about the car not being visible.

If you read my post I said -

"Which would make the car less visible when temporarily stationery in poor conditions or at night, and would be questionable from a road legality viewpoint."

In these instances headlights should be used.  The exception is on a road lit by street lighting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links