Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Many issues with auris 1.6vvti

Loulou77

Hi I've bought a 1.6 manual vvti 08 reg

I seem to be having many issues I'm not sure wether its me or if there's genuinely something wrong...im a first time toyota user and to be honest I'm so far not impressed..

I have a clicking clunking through the steering wheel which only i can seem to hear...reverse gear is a nightmare and if the car is at 30 in 3rd gear a steady 2.2rpm it jerks is this normal?

I'm used to a seat tdi  this is different

I've had it a week its got a 3 month warranty I'm thinking of having a diagnostic at toyota..help please

Petrol cars have slightly different driving characteristics to diesels - so perhaps a period of adjustment is needed. 

What difficulty are you having with reverse? Selection? 

Regarding the clicking through the steering, mine has always done this and a Toyota dealer told me not to worry as it was a design fault on some of the electric power steering units fitted to the early Auris. They showed me another Auris of the same age owned by one of their staff and it was doing the same thing. It never gets any worse, but I must admit it can be annoying sometimes when parking. Not all of them do it by any means, but its not uncommon. Owners who complained during the original warranty period got it fixed for free, but as its not a safety issue it is not part of a recall, and to get it corrected now would cost a lot in parts and labour so I've left mine as it is.

I got my 1.6 (2014) last year after 12 years of driving diesels, and it took me the first fortnight to learn how not to stall it. :laugh: I was so used to pulling away at low revs that I just wasn't getting the power band right, and I was sometimes changing up at inappropriate speeds. In fact I didn't really get to know the car's characteristics until I'd taken it away on holiday and got properly 'bedded in' with it. 

Jerking at 2,200 revs sounds a bit odd, though - one possible reason is that you haven't got your seat position right, so that you're 'hovering' over the throttle pedal and every little bump in the road is feeding back into the accelerator response. As a lady (I presume from your name tag), dare I ask whether you're wearing flat (or flattish) shoes? It makes a heck of a difference for my wife.

• Like 1

For what is worth, I own a 2009 1.33 Auris (which has less power and torque than yours) and when I drive it in a high gear at very low speed and low rpm's, the car is completely smooth.

Obviously, not being a turbo diesel, if you floor it without downshifting is gonna take a lifetime to accelerate. But if you are just cruising like that it should be perfectly fine and not jerky by any means. 

So yeah, I would get that checked!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links