Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weak spot on the 2016 Aygo floor - driver's side?

Pytheas

I drive an Aygo 2016 X-Play Touch MMT for about 9 months now and I recently realized that the car's floor on the driver's side (where the left foot sits for me, almost in front of the brake pedal - so it should be the right foot for UK models?) is really thin and looks like it's prone to tearing, as there is no "resistance" from the bottom (e.g. metal), similar to the rest of the floor. I noticed that a couple of times when I was getting out of the car, so more pressure was put on the car's floor to help me get out of the car. It's very easy to check with bare hands if the mat is removed.

On top of that, after some driving under heavy rain, I noticed that the floor on the same side but a bit closer to the brake pedal (still under the mat) was really wet.

As I still have about 1000 km (about 620 miles) before its first service, I was wondering if this "weak" spot on the car's floor is normal and leads to water entering the cabin (at least the floor fabric). Has anyone else noticed anything similar in 2016 Aygo models?

Hi Vassilis,

I don't actually have this problem on my 2012 Aygo Fire but I have to say that I would be taking yours back to the dealer. Any water coming in when the car is less than 1 year old is a huge problem and can only get worse with time.

My advice would be, don't wait until the service date, get the car back to the dealer for an under guarantee repair (Or Check), as soon as possible.

It may be that you have driven over something which has damaged the floorpan, or it might be a fault from new....Either way it needs to be looked at before the problem gets worse.

I am sorry that you have this problem on your "Pride and Joy" and I hope that you can get it sorted out....I guess you are from Greece, so "Kali Tixi". :smile:

• Like 1

Don't have this issue with mine.

Not noticed anything yet with mine

Thank you all for the replies.

Earlier today I went to a Toyota authorised body repair shop (is this the right term?) to have the issue checked. They told me that the wetness of the specific spot must be due to water coming from shoes (inside the car), as the rest of the floor was not wet. As regards the soft spots (there are more than one, as I realised by feeling it with bare hands), they told me that this is normal. I told them that this is prone to tearing after some time - e.g. the space between the door and the brake is really soft and there seems to be no metal underneath it - but they assured me that this is not going to happen.

I still find it confusing that none of you confirmed the same structure of the driver's floor; does it really feel homogeneous (e.g. no soft spots)? Mine feels like there are wide rods below the fabric, which are not exactly fit one next to the other...

I'll have the issue checked by my car dealer (where I got the car from) in the next days, where I'll ask for the thorough check of the car, including the specific spot. 

• Like 1

I think one of the ways is to go to the showroom, find a brand new Aygo and try to feel the floor and see if it feels the same. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Justhandguns said:

I think one of the ways is to go to the showroom, find a brand new Aygo and try to feel the floor and see if it feels the same. 

Will do so as soon as I visit my Toyota dealer; thanks for the tip :-)

Hi again, Vassilis, Ti kanete?

Great advice from Justhandguns !

If you take your Aygo back to the dealer and compare it next to a new one, the Salesman can't argue if they feel different and something will have to be done.  As you have been to the "Authorised body repair shop" (That term is exactly right :smile:) you can rule out damage caused by running over something as they would have seen it.

It looks like it is back to the dealer for a bit of detective work. 

Ta leme :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all, geia sou Agent Orange - some updates on the issue:

I just had my Aygo serviced for the 1st time (15k km / 10k miles after 9 months) at the aforementioned Toyota authorised repair center/distributor and highlighted the issue to them. They made some quick inspections only to assure me that this is normal for new Aygos so there is nothing that they can do. I told them that I am afraid that the carpet will tear after some time but they told me that this was never observed by now in any case.

Unfortunately I was really late for work, so I did not have the time to go by their exhibition (located a bit further) and check one of the Aygos there but I plan to do it at some point. At least my concern is now written in the service report issued the service center, so that I can refer to at a later point.

I'll keep you posted in case I have any updates on that - thanks again for your input! 

• 3 months later...

Ok, I managed to drop by the Toyota dealer yesterday (to pick up my car insurance) and I had the opportunity to check two 2016 Aygos at the exhibition part (one of them an advanced trim, with white aluminum wheels)  - both of them had the same pattern under the driver's mat and carpet so it is not just mine. I had a short talk with one of the salesmen available and told him I am concerned about the existence of these soft spots there (e.g. carpet may tear if much pressure is put on specific spots) and he couldn't disagree "it may happen after some time, depending on the use".

I also mentioned the water I saw on the carpet, below the driver's mat after driving in heavy rain (and pools of water on the road) and he told me that while a leak there would rather be impossible (it might be due to the water from my shoes; it looks too much water to me to come from my almost dry shoes), I should keep checking that while the car is under warranty.

WP_20170314_18_42_54_Pro.jpg

Mate get some OEM floor mats, that will at least help protect your carpet ware, and they look good. They will also soak up any water from shoes etc..  

Hi Vassilis,

I don't want to worry you but if the water came from your shoes, wouldn't there be TWO patches, rather than the one under your left foot?.....Why is there no water under the pedals from your right shoe?

Have you pulled the carpet back to look at the metal floorpan and to check how soft/"springy" the actual floor is?

I still think that even though other cars in the showroom seem to be the same as yours, nobody on here has complained about the problem on, what would be, our passenger side footwell and so there still seems to be a problem.

Luckily your car is still under warranty and, if I were you, I would keep complaining/reporting about this problem to your dealer.

All the best Vassilis, Ta Leme :smile:

@AYGOSTU...The very man!  Stuart, if you have 5 minutes to spare, can you do Vassilis and me a huge favour, please?

If you wouldn't mind going out and sitting in the passenger seat of your lovely new Aygo and pressing down on the floor with your left foot, does the floor seem to give a little?

Vassilis thinks that the floor is weak in this area and as he is in Greece, he drives on the "wrong" side. :wink: (Only joking, Vassilis!!!!!!!) So the problem he is having would be in our passenger side footwell.

Many thanks in advance, Stuart and I am so chuffed that you like your new car...It's stunning!

All the best. :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

@AYGOSTU...The very man!  Stuart, if you have 5 minutes to spare, can you do Vassilis and me a huge favour, please?

If you wouldn't mind going out and sitting in the passenger seat of your lovely new Aygo and pressing down on the floor with your left foot, does the floor seem to give a little?

Vassilis thinks that the floor is weak in this area and as he is in Greece, he drives on the "wrong" side. :wink: (Only joking, Vassilis!!!!!!!) So the problem he is having would be in our passenger side footwell.

Many thanks in advance, Stuart and I am so chuffed that you like your new car...It's stunning!

All the best. :smile:

Hi AO :)  Just been out to the beast..sat in the passenger seat and pushed around in the foot-well in many places..  whilst there is moment, I think most of it is the carpet lifting up & down. 

So to summarise..In my car there is no moment that concerns me. Sorry , that probably doesn't help you Vassilis.

• Like 2

Many, many thanks, Stuart...You are a star!

So, Vassilis, Stuart has the Mark 2 Aygo and as the car is new to him, he would be very concerned if there was anything that was not, "just right". Only carpet movement on the UK Aygo but yet you seem to have a "thin floor" on the Left Hand Drive version.

A trip back to the Toyota Dealer with the old "My friends in England have Aygos and they don't have this problem" argument might help, or what about dropping an e-mail to Toyota (Greece) to ask about this if you are still not happy with the answer from the dealer?

All the best, Vassilis and thanks again to you, Stuart. :smile:

P.S.....If the problem was wet shoes, we would be ankle deep in water in the UK.....Or the "Soggy Isles" as a mate of mine from Norway calls us.

5 hours ago, AYGOSTU said:

Mate get some OEM floor mats, that will at least help protect your carpet ware, and they look good. They will also soak up any water from shoes etc..  

Don't get me wrong; I have the original Aygo floor mats fitted and still almost brand new (I just removed this one to show the issue with water!) :-)

The thing is that I do not feel any part of the floor "moving"; it is just that the carpet seems to move more in some spots indeed and less in other spots (as metal rods/bars seem to be under the carpet. It seems strange to me that this happens, as I would expect a solid feel to the foot when pushing the carpet.

I have not removed the carpet myself (would be really afraid to do so) but I will keep checking with the dealer and maybe Toyota Greece, especially next time I see some water under the floor mat. Bad thing is that we usually do not get much rain in Greece (btw, we had an awful lot during June!) so it might take some time to validate this. 

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond @Agent Orange and @AYGOSTU; really appreciated!