Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is it worth changing to yaris hybrid

Andymarshall

Hi everyone just thinking about changing to a hybrid from 1.3 petrol .current use is 1 mile to railway station and back mon- fri. Will I be able to use Battery only on such a short trip .and will a short trip charge the Battery .

Given your usage and bearing in mind both the cost to change and the premium for the hybrid over an equivalent petrol, wouldn't have thought this would be cost effective.

• Like 1

A mile, you use a car for a one mile journey? Unless there's a very good reason, such as disability or you live on a mountain, walking must be the best option. I wouldn't even consider getting my push-bike out for one mile.

Have you also considered the reduction in longevity the engine will have from not warming up each journey, apart from the harm you're doing to the environment?

• Like 1

Hybrid would be pointless for such a short commute, the petrol engine will run to get up to temperature and produce cabin heat in the cooler months.

Battery-only use would be pretty impossible due to the above, and forcing the car into EV mode will not work when the system is cold.

The best you could get is 1 mile on EV before the Battery is empty. So you might get one way. Then it might take several one way trips on petrol to charge the Battery up, before you can travel another mile on the electric.

You wouldn't be getting any engine warm over that distance, to get any efficiency.

You would be better looking into an all electric car, maybe the relaunch of the Sinclair C5 would be a contender ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have to have a car (walk or cycling feasible?) & have access to a charger without dragging a cable across a public pavement/path as Anthony says  then perhaps a plug-in EV?

• 2 weeks later...

You need a small electric-only car, if you need a car at all.

The Prius EV is the only electric-only Toyota I know of. There are smaller electric-only cars available from other manufacturers.

Such a short journey is no good for any car with an internal combustion engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links