Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Pressure Sensors - The Bit You Don't See

Gerg

On 3/16/2017 at 1:42 PM, Gerg said:

I have inherited a tyre pressure sensor off a 2015 Auris.

For all those who wondered what one looks like off of the wheel, here are some photos.

I think the pressure is measured up the small hole to the left in the first picture.

The air enters the tyre through the vaguely triangular aperture.

Once the button cell battery has gone flat, then the whole unit gets swapped out.  (5+ years?)

P1070543.JPG

P1070544.JPG

P1070550.JPG

P1070546.JPG

Excellent info provided there @Gerg

I was wondering why my 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback had metal tyre valves fitted to its 17” alloys 🤔. It’s because of these bad boys. Yikes! 😳 I knew the TPMS didn’t work by magic or witchcraft, but I never for one minute expected them to be powered by computer motherboard batteries!! 

My Auris turned 5 years old last week with just 13k on the clock. Looks like these TPMS valve batteries could need renewing soon if they’ve got a 5 ish years Battery life. I’ve still got 5mm+ of tyre tread left yet though. Come of batteries! Hang in there! 

Thankfully no warnings from my TPMS yet. But, if those batteries did go flat, I presume you’d get constant tyre pressure warnings ⚠️ showing on the dash? Say if I decided to have the garage replace those snazzy TPMS Battery powered metal valves at some point in the future with standard rubber tyre valves, can the TPMS warning system on the Auris be deactivated completely? 🤔 

I remember a fleet of company Renault Lagunas we had which went for new tyres. The depot removed the metal tyre valve and pressure transducers with bog standard rubber valves, and the Lagunas TPMS showed on the digital display that all 4 wheels had come off!! 🤣 Nice one tyre depot. 🤦🏻‍♂️

wondering what main dealer will charge when mine go dead. Isaw somewhere new mod.comes in 2 parts,to only replace the outer part.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links