Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying car for someone without them being present

TwNewcastle

Hi general question,not necessarily for auris forum

want to buy used car for my son....this will be cash. Problem is he will be out of the country at the time.

question is does he need to sign anything as he will be the registered keeper of the car,and the main driver

Suppose the main issue will be insurance. Most insurers have removed the facility where one can drive another person's car and be covered third party. Without the person being in the country, as far as I'm aware, a third party cannot set up insurance for him.

Would it make any difference if i was named on his insurance as a named driver

Presumably as he already has insurance, then as a named driver you should be OK. However, I would imagine he will need to notify the insurer of the new vehicle before you collect it.

Sorry i should of explained,this will be his first car,so no insurance yet.when a car is chosen i will organise insurance for him and put myself on as named driver, allowing me to bring car home from garage.

My initial concern was whether he would need to be present to sign anything at the garage,with regards to the registration document etc

I've bought secondhand cars (cash) for my daughters (once each, as birthday surprises :-) without them being there, and it never caused a problem. All you need from the vendor is the stub on the V5, signed by him if I recall correctly. And you fill in the purchaser's details and away you go.

WRT insurance, I always set up my wife's insurance on the meerkat, and she also doesn't need to be there. The only input I need from her is for her to remind me whether her speeding points have expired yet?:laugh:.

I'm not up to date with the new online VED payment system, but since it's online I can't see how it would make a difference whether your son was present. Maybe you could grow some designer stubble and clutch a can of beer and a pot noodle in your hand as you type in the details? :tongue:

• Like 1

i'd just ring an insurance company tell them the car is a surprise for your son

they wont be fussy how they take the insurance premium for the car and add yourself

as a named driver to help reduce the premium

If it becomes a problem with insurance, you can always sell the car to your son for £1.

My Dad did this with my sister years ago. It's all above board etc.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links