Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trailer towing

peter3696

I have a MR2 hillclimb car on a twin axle trailer. Total weight I think is about 1600kgs. A friend of mine usually tows it to events for me using a Defender 90. He is not going to be available to help me this season. I was wondering if my 2013 rav4 2.2 dcat auto would make a suitable towcar? Would towing put the auto box under undue strain? I bought this about 6 weeks ago for my personal drive, might as well put it to use if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Iirc the tow limit for a RAV 2.2 is ~2000kg & the vehicle weight is ~1700Kg. If you subscribe to the 85% max suggestion for towing that puts your trailer+MR2 above that.

Hi, for what's its worth on the subject of Rav tow cars whilst my 2013 2.2 isn't an auto it's probably the best tow car we have had. Tows a 1400 kg caravan with ease, plenty of reserve power and no problems with the handling.

Hi I would echo Rob's comments. I have towed a caravan with all three Rav 4's I've owned first two manual gearboxes and the latest an auto.

Current caravan is plated to 1450 which is around the 85% ratio as recommended, however experienced towers can and do tow above this up to 100%.

Might be an idea to get the MR2 and trailer to a weighbridge and then you'd know what you were pulling.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links