Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How long can I drive with oil maintenance warning?

ConallCernach

Hi, new to the boards so forgive my ignorance if I commit any blunders. Basically, my problem is this: my oil maintenance warning came up at the start of a long journey from London to Scotland. It says I have 18 miles left before needing a service. However, I'm in Scotland and need to drive back the 400 odd miles tomorrow evening. I'm mortally afraid of burning out the engine on the motorway; on the other hand, I wonder if these messages are conservative so as to scare you into getting a service quickly.

Does anyone know if it would be safe for me to drive back to London and get the service done then? Or should I try to find a garage near where I am? If the latter, this might prove difficult given the short notice, and the fact that I have a pile of things to get done in Scotland.

Any advice appreciated!

In a previous time warp, when cars didn't have computers, you would have just had the oil change done when back in London.  For peace of mind, assuming you have a dipstick, just make sure the oil level's OK, and get it done when you get back to base.  Nothing to worry about.  Enjoy Scotland :smile:

PS. I'm saying this without knowing anything about Verso Icon

• Like 3

What the computer is telling you is that your car is due for a service, which it knows by having the recommended interval programmed in to it and then counting down the miles. I had a Peugeot that did the same thing, would flash a spanner icon with 1,000 miles left on it. I drove it for another 12,000 miles before I got it serviced - I wouldn't recommend that, but the car was a pile of tosh and broken anyway before I drove it for that long past its servicing.

As Notoyboy said, if you have a dipstick you should check it. It'll be in the owners manual on how to do it and where to locate it. If you have an oil level thats half way, top it up with some oil and drive home. If it's dry (which it won't be), then you fill that up pronto. If it's near the top, enjoy the M6 back to London and book the car in for a service.

• Like 2

I agree with the above 2 posts. Service intervals are arbitrary thresholds. A few hundred (or even thousand) miles either way doesn't make much difference. The main thing is to have enough oil in the engine - hence the advice to check the oil level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, talldave said:

I agree with the above 2 posts. Service intervals are arbitrary thresholds. A few hundred (or even thousand) miles either way doesn't make much difference.

except to your warranty ...

Iirc Toyota allow a 1,000 mile tolerance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

except to your warranty ...

This is important. If you do what I did then your car's warranty will be well void. Mine was 5 years old and out of every warranty known to man.

• Like 1

Yes - I agree about the warranty bit. However my cars tend to be so old that there is no warranty - so I guess I have a slightly more relaxed attitude.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for this advice, which is very reassuring. It seems to me so that I'll be OK getting back to London. The warranty point is an excellent one, of course, but I'll be comfortably within it so far as I can see (500 miles back vs 1,000 on the warranty). 

And I shall certainly check the oil manually before I go!

Thanks again,

CC