Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Stop-start is not working

Ashish01

Hello,

I am kind of worried because the Auto Stop-Start in my Toyota Vitz 2012 has stopped working.

1 Month ago while helping out a friend to jump start his car, I noticed some blueish powder on the negative terminal of the Battery.

On the jump start, my car was on, he connected the +ve terminal and then the -ve terminal and he was able to turn on his car.

Then a couple of days later, I opened the hood and start cleaning the blueish powder off the negative terminal (i think it is called oxidisation).

While cleaning the -ve terminal, I unplugged it to brush all the blue substance from the -ve lead and then I connected all as it was.

Later when I started the car, I saw that the time was reset so I set to correct time.

Since then the car is not able to turn off the engine and display the yellow A in a circle when I stop the car.

Before above it would always turn off the engine with the Yellow A in circle lit even with the AC on, 12v outlet charging my phone and Radio on.

Then when I lift up my foot off the brake, the engine would turn on immediately.

I worried that the Jump Start or disconnecting the -ve terminal reset anything or burnt any fuse.

The car technicians in my country are mostly self taught and I don't want them to put their hands in my car.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks,

First thing I would do is fully charge the Battery. Auto stop/start systems tend not to work when Battery charge is low and a full charge may sort it.

I'm guessing from your comment that the car is out of warranty?

On 27/03/2017 at 4:12 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'm guessing from your comment that the car is out of warranty?

Yes It is. :(

On 24/03/2017 at 3:06 AM, eyemdee said:

First thing I would do is fully charge the battery. Auto stop/start systems tend not to work when battery charge is low and a full charge may sort it.

Well the Battery is always full.

When I start the Car, the Battery show 13.5V volt. (it is a small MP3 player I have connected to the Cigarette plug and transmit FM)

When I unplugged the Battery, the time did reset. Do you thing anything else has reset? or did I burn any fuse or something?

Thanks for your Reply

38 minutes ago, Ashish01 said:

Well the battery is always full.

When I start the Car, the battery show 13.5V volt. (it is a small MP3 player I have connected to the Cigarette plug and transmit FM)

If you mean that the Battery is reading 13.5 volts with the engine running then this means nothing. It is the alternator charging the Battery that gives this voltage. It would be better to check the Battery voltage when the car has been stood. 12.8v is very good but anyhing much below this and your stop/start may not work. If charging the battery does not work then a new one may be needed.