Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Model Should i buy

danicalifornia2222

Hi Guys hoping to pick up a rav 4 at the weekend, I have two choices both same price both similar miles both 2009, what would you advise, which is least likely to give problems etc. Thanks in advance for your help

SR-180 D-4D

OR

D-4D XT-R

Hello Malachy - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

One thing to be aware of is that up to the production date of December 2008, some Rav's with the 2.2 AD series engines could have oil consumption/head gasket issues. See - 

I know the one you're looking at was registered in 2009, but it is possible it may have been built within the affected range. Toyota did offer additional cover of these engines (7 years or 111,000 miles, whichever occurred first) - but all cars are now outside this cover in terms of age. So it may be worth checking with a Toyota dealer to see whether you can determine the build dates, or whether it has had a replacement engine.

Hi Mike Thanks for that, I will give Toyota a call tomorrow to see if I can determine the build date if it is in the production date of prior December 2008 should I not buy? Was there lots effected or just a few?

Don't know exact numbers, but thought to be a minority. If it is in the affected range and has had a replacement engine (and a Toyota dealer will be able to confirm), should be OK.

CHEERS MIKE, any preference on either of the two listed above? SR more bhp Is that the only difference?

180s anecdotally seem more prone to head/head gasket issues. They also all have DPNR/DPFs whereas the 150 of that age may not (UK Avensis did not).