Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Echo immobilizer or anything else ? Help me out guys

humayun.chughtai.7

Hello guys,
I am facing a weird problem with toyota Echo 2001 hatchback (same as Yaris/vitz) since I bought it.
- Engine refuses to shut down, while all the electricals turns off, upon turning the ignition swith to ACC/LOCK position. But this only happens when engine is cold & blue coolant temperature light is on the board. When blue light goes off, everything seems normal.
I was guessing that there was some remote start kit installed by previous owner, and it had some wiring malfunction. Or any other aftermarket accessory.

I inspected all the wiring including under dash board & engine bay but everything is in standard condition. This is where I came to know that 2 wires of one of the ECU connector are attached (connecting with each other after peeling off the insulation) with each other. Here is picture of ECU pinouts for better understanding. (Wires circled in Red)

When I disconnected them from each other, car refuses to start while starter was cranking & there was NO Check engine light in the odometer. I also noticed that the security light (which refers to immobilizer) also didn't lights up due to this.

So I am concluding that my car has an immobilizer, someone had tried to bypass it by directly connecting the 2 wires. Plz correct me, if I am wrong.
Plz help me in this regard, what to do now ? how to solve this matter bcz after a short trip of 3-5 kilometers, it feels very weird when u want to turn off ur vehicle and it refuses to shut down.

1jzecu_diagram (2)_LI.jpg

• Like 1

31 views but still 0 replies.

That's because no one who has viewed this thread can help you. Hopefully advice will come in time.

• Like 3

Still waiting for help

My only suggestion is find a garage that knows how it should be from the factory, and get them to do a thorough inspection. They should be able to find the problem, and any non-standard parts. Tell them you suspect it was modified by a previous owner, so they know to be extra vigilant in their inspection. Ask for a full report of any problems and modifications they find.

Whilst they're at it, might be worth getting them to check the rest of the vehicle, too, and make sure everything is OK.

• Like 1

@mods plz close this thread.
PROBLEM SOLVED !
Actually my car is UK import with immobilizer and it was running with JDM 2nzfe non-imobilizer ECU. So after a little alteration with one of the ECU connectors, everything is working like a charm now. I am also posting a pic of altered ECU pinouts for better understanding. It took me almost 4 months to root out the cause, but Thank God I am done now. Alteration has been done with the highlighted connector.

1jzecu_diagram_LI.jpg

Thread locked as requested.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links