Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct engine oil for 2008 Aygo

Bob Sutton

Hello Everyone,

I do not want to open any old wounds but I have been looking at the Aygo forum for advice on the correct engine oil, for my upcoming oil change, using a non-dealer garage.

I saw an interesting post started by Phil White in April 2013 

Phil White's handbook for his 2012 Aygo said to use 0W-20 oil. My handbook for my 2008 Aygo says to use 5W-30. I assume the engines on both cars are the same, namely the 1KR-FE 998cc petrol engine. The question therefore is, should I stay with the recommended 5W-30 as per my handbook, or get up-to-date and use the 0W-20, to follow the modern trend for so called environmentally-friendly,  lower viscosity oils.  My car has done approximately 25000 miles and I live in England. I have attached a photograph of my handbook.

From the post in 2013, Red Yaris 54 asked "let us see an end to this", but have things changed in the last four years from that post; and the last nine years since my handbook was printed? Any advice would be gratefully received.   

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton.

2008 Aygo handbook.jpg

Depending on the model, in approx 2008/09 Toyota introduced a range of improvements to their range of engines under the 'Optimal Drive' scheme. This included the use of 0W-20 oil in petrol engines.

So your car is designed to use 5W-30 as per the manual - as was my 2006 Corolla.

However, my 2009 Auris, 2012 Auris and my current 2016 Aygo, all had 'Optimal Drive' engines and use 0W-20 as the preferred oil. 

I don't think either makes much of a difference. My Peugeot 107 has the same engine as the Aygo ("1.0" Petrol), and in the guidebook for mine is states 5W-30. My car is 2010.

However, I have had people recommend using 5W-30 for my 1998 Corolla - especially when I went to the Toyota dealership and got given it as part of the service pack. The Corolla has a sticker on the engine saying it should use 10W-40 and that's backed up by what's in the book.

In my opinion manufacturers will change their recommendations of their oil as the years go by, but this is more for the new cars they're selling rather than a retrospective recommendation. So, really, if your car rolled out of the factory with 5W-30 and it says 5W-30 in the handbook, use 5W-30.

• Like 2

Hello again, Bob.

Two weeks ago, I had the 40,000 mile service on my 2012 Aygo Fire done by my trusty local independant garage (The Guy there is a Wizard) and he used what he and I have always used for the oil change:  Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30. 

I have used this after a fair bit of internet research and his advice for the past couple of years now and I've always been happy with it.  You can buy it anywhere but for the best prices with fantastic delivery (I always keep a litre in for a top-up/emergency), try Opie Oils:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

I have to say that the above post from Mickburkesnr, echoes my thoughts and I think that he has given you some good advice.

I hope that helps in some way.

• Like 1

I didn't know that, Frostyballs, so thank you......Opie Oils have just gone up a further notch in my opinion! :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks for the mention and kind words.

Realistically, you can get away with a lot of different oils in there - my mother in law's 107 was using a 10w-40 as it was knackered burning loads of oil, if she used a 0w-20, it would have used as much oil as fuel. My data lists the Aygo as using a 5w-30 up until 2014, then 0w-20 for the 2014 onwards models, but also lists a 5w-30 as an alternative recommendation for them. 

Bob, I would stick with a 5w-30. It's the standard grade, it's well proven in that engine, it's easily available and relatively cheap (depending on what you go for). 0w-20 is designed to give a potential fuel economy increase, but the increase in fuel economy by reducing viscosity is generally pretty small. It's also quite a thin oil, so there is the potential that it will burn off relatively quickly and as 0w-20s are often quite expensive and can be a pain to get hold of, it's not that convenient.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 2

.......And Opie Oils go up another notch!

Many thanks Tim, that post should really have "Sticky" status as it took me ages, a couple of years ago, to find out a fraction of what you have summed up into two paragraphs!

Your post is (In my opinion) really helpful.  Many thanks!

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much to all who read my post and especially to those, who took the time and trouble to respond.

The outcome for me: I will use 5W-30 fully synthetic and Opie Oils will get my order. I have purchased from them before, when they advised me on which transmission oil to use. They were very good then and I am expecting nothing less now.

Thanks again for all your input.

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton.

• Like 1

There is a thread in the Guides section of each club that details the specifications of oil for the various engines - 

In the case of the Aygo for pre February 2009 models, 5W-30 oil is the preferred oil, and for post February 2009 models the preferred oil is 0W-20.

As far as I'm aware, PSA have continued to state 5W-30 is their preferred oil. Presumably this is for the convenience of their dealer network, as their other petrol models, which have PSA engines, have 5W-30 as the preferred oil..

Nice one, Bob.

Thanks for getting back to us and do you know what?  I think that you've made the right decision.

When Tim from Opie Oils takes the time and trouble to come on here to give us free advice...Then I think we should take it.

I am not a mechanic but I like to think that I can take some advice.....That's why I lurked on this page for 18 months, taking note of all the tips and tricks that you all gave, before I signed up to post.....And hopefully, give something back.

Many thanks to all! :smile: