Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2017 Excel arrived, but with a lot of road noise

barrycoll

20 minutes ago, barrycoll said:

A new problem, discovered at the weekend, is that when the bike rack is up on the tow hitch, and the 2 bikes installed, backing out of the drive is almost impossible, as the car keeps slamming on the BRAKES, when it 'sees' problems just behind

Can this be turned OFF, does anybody know, as I had to put the car in N, and let it run down the driveway.

But what happens when trying to park, and reversing is required????????

Interesting problem, makes me wonder about towing too.

Good news is, you can turn it off when using the bike hitch, but personally I'd want it on whenever possible at other times.  It fires when entering long grass too - as a friend who drove mine found out when I had a bit of fun getting him to back into grass in a car park! (I'd already experienced it there myself).

If you look at the downloadable manual (the main one), P310 explains it and P152 shows how to turn it off using the right hand steering buttons and MFD next to the speedo.

26 minutes ago, barrycoll said:

... I had to put the car in N, and let it run down the driveway.  But what happens when trying to park, and reversing is required????????

Alternative 2: get wife to push  :biggrin:  (just kidding!)

Actually Pete.....she drove and I pushed (!!) when turning around after our country ride, in a tight cul-de-sac.

Thanks for the Heads Up, I will check the recommended info today

P 152 is HUD, Pete????

2 minutes ago, barrycoll said:

P 152 is HUD, Pete????

which makes life interesting - looks like there's an updated version of the manual, but since mine matches the age of my car, I'm not sure about getting a new version which may not.

I'll see if I can download the latest version and keep it separate so I'm (hopefully) giving good info...

Thanks a million Pete......havnt tried it yet, but does that cover reverse as well as forward???

4 hours ago, barrycoll said:

Thanks a million Pete......havnt tried it yet, but does that cover reverse as well as forward???

I haven't tested it, but pretty sure it does affect both ends

On 29/03/2017 at 7:58 PM, cviclark said:

I had a Lexus IS on 17" wheels they corroded so badly that they changed (all 5) under warranty at the third annual service.  It also ate front tires on the inside edges every 9K. miles. They were handed so while front to back changes and the spare moved about they could not be cross changed. The inside edges were so well hidden I did not know until they would not let me drive it after a service.  My guess is if you remove the plastic they will corrode very badly, and corroded alloys dont look good.  

I had two sets of wheels for my IS and even more tyres! Definitely a fault with those alloys but not had that problem with subsequent Lexus/Toyota cars

• 3 months later...
On 3/4/2017 at 10:38 AM, barrycoll said:A new problem, discovered at the weekend, is that when the bike rack is up on the tow hitch, and the 2 bikes installed, backing out of the drive is almost impossible, as the car keeps slamming on the BRAKES, when it 'sees' problems just behindCan this be turned OFF, does anybody know, as I had to put the car in N, and let it run down the driveway.

But what happens when trying to park, and reversing is required????????

Wanting some information please from of the members as to how they went about installing a tow bar on the current Prius. I got a towbar together with wiring for lights from Germany for €399 and fitted do €50 Excellent piece of kit as I could not source a cycle rack for the current Prius, the rack for the 2010 does not fit. Intend to get a stand for two bar to carry two bikes over the weekend. That detachable towbar is neat, when it off no one realises you have a towbar fitted. Don't intend to pull trailer so hence did not get wiring fitted. 

I did splash out on a Toyota pre-fitted tow bar, Michael.

also got a detachable ball, but the bar is fitted so far under the rear end, that getting to the ball and detaching it,  is impossible, and will complain on first service.

Like you the bar is used with a 2 bike Thule tow bar bike rack, and works beautifully....bought mine from GT Towing in Nth London

Of course the Thule rack comes with a built in lighting bar, and stop lights are reassuring that no body will tail end the carbon bikes. 

I have been stopped by the cops many years previously, for using a hook on rack, and no obvious number plate or tail lights.....

I had  a Thule tow bar, plus rack for the Gen 3 Prius, but Thule dont do one for the new Gen 4 (yet)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links