Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Excel arrived, but with a lot of road noise

barrycoll

White Prius excel with chrome & protection packs+ removable tow hitch

Picked up the new car from somewhere north of Manchester last Thursday.

So drove 250 miles on diabolically crowded roads back to London.
Didn't take long to find out that the satnav didn't have the M6 toll road, and hopeless over speed limits......so probably not updated. Colours are dreadful too, being light blue and grey

Car came with only quarter tank which was not great, but as this was a Fleet Distribution centre, and the broker saved quite a few £k, I can't complain. So no hand over, just here are he keys "sir"

Multiple peeps, gongs and bleeps were driving me bonkers en route home , and at times it sounded like the inside of Big Ben. Seemed to get worse the closer to home I got, and the last GONG was so loud it almost blew me sideways onto my wife's lap

Car is very smooth, and seats are great, but the one big disappointment is the road noise....it really seems worse than the T Spirit on 17", on some roads

Maybe I was expecting too much from other folk's reports, but the Toyo Nanoenergy R 41 s ( or the car itself), creates a subtle, low frequency early wheel bearing failure sound, and on,y disappears below about 25 mph....on concrete slab motorway, it is very bad, and can't recall anything similar on the Gen 3
In Priuschat, Kithmo has noted the same with his car, and others too, with either sized wheels....
Maybe it will improve with more miles????

Anybody else noticed this?

After the long drive, the read out suggests 73.2 mpg average, and I was given a score of 90/100 for eco....even at motorway speeds, using radar cruise. ALthough the car does seem to take a little too long to recognise a lose of space when somebody pulls out into it, and I feel more comfortable braking and re-establishing the proper space myself, and then re-setting the cruise

Checked the tyre pressures and they were 40 front and 36 rear, but 32/30 is recommended, so have gone for 35/32..... but no difference on the low growl noise.

Took the polystyrene out the boot, and clamped in the space saver, used the wheel well for jack and levers, and placed the original boot floor back in, now sitting on top of th spare, and giving some underfloor space for the rest of my junk. Have stored the polystyrene and quick repair kit in the shed, and used some wood supports for the boot floor covering, to stop it bending at all under load. Seems to work well, and hasn't added to any noise problems

Just why the 17" shod car cannot be supplied with a spare is beyond me

The instruction book is another irritant, as there are several pages on how to operate the sunroof (ha-ha)........if you were allowed by Mr T. to spend the extra £££s on it and buy one

The tow bar hitch seems to work well too, but has been positioned too far back underneath the car....so very difficult to insert the removable tow bar neck, unlike the Gen 3 which was far easier , and didn't leave me with buggered knees

If the car will lose that low frequency road rumble, it would get 10/10.

BUt now I am wondering whether the CT200 would have been a quieter option???

The CT200 is a smaller car, being Auris based, and must be due for replacement soon. Lexus have said the replacement will be a crossover - presumably using the C-HR as a basis.

47 minutes ago, barrycoll said:

The tow bar hitch seems to work well too, but has been positioned too far back underneath the car....so very difficult to insert the removable tow bar neck, unlike the Gen 3 which was far easier , and didn't leave me with buggered knees

didn't think that the Gen.3 was certified for towing?

The reason that you couldn't specify a spare with 17" wheels is all to do with weight & emissions grouping for tax. So that may change with the tax changes coming in April.

I don't know if I've gotten used to it or it has changed pitch, but after only 3K miles, I feel the road noise has improved, it's certainly better than the Gen 3 was. I'm running 35/33 pressures now, Toyo Nano energy 17" tyres. I did a 280 mile round trip the other day, virtually all motorway, cruise set to 75 mph, which was reading 70 mph on my gps Dashcam, medium traffic, no hold ups and it read 66 mpg on the trip.

Hi Barry,

You do not seem too pleased with your new car. Ours is very noisy on some motorway surfaces. I found this on the M5 especially on concrete road surfaces. Perhaps your sat nav is not set for toll roads you can set this up yourself it is in the manual I think under route preferences. I can understand what you say about a spare wheel that is one reason I bought the business edition with 15 inch wheels and a skinny spare. I would suggest you register your sat nav on My Toyota. After doing so you can go to e store and check the latest sat nav update. Compare it to your car sat nav version under settings. I am still getting to grips with our car. I also think radar cruise takes getting used to. I found myself braking as you did. Let us know you get on. 

Regards Chris.

I agree with Kithmo regarding the noise. I have to say when I first drove my Gen 4 Prius Excel I thought it was tyre noise I was hearing from the Toyo tyres but checking on the Internet the tyres are no noisier than other makes, though I have to add that when it comes to replacement tyres I will be trying a different brand. Overall I certainly think my new car is a lot quieter than my previous Gen 3 Prius T-Spirit. As far as driving on 'concrete' motorways, virtually every car I've driven in those circumstances has made a noise. Otherwise like Kithmo, I've either got used to the noise, or the car has got quieter. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

didn't think that the Gen.3 was certified for towing?

It isn't but that doesn't mean you can't add a tow hitch for something like a cycle rack.

1 hour ago, BhxTrev said:

...Otherwise like Kithmo, I've either got used to the noise, or the car has got quieter. 

noise is a very subjective thing.

When I first got a Gen 1 Prius in 2002, the quietness was one of it's many endearing features, but after a while I started to think it wasn't that quiet.  Then I'd go in another car, and realise it actually was very quiet - there must be some sort of ear equivalent of automatic recording level the tape recorders used to have.

• Like 2

SWMBO's Gen 2 is generally quiet on local trips but on the M180, at the eastern end where it's made of concrete slabs, it resonates really bad. Most cars will hum on this stretch of motorway but her Gen 2 vibrates very loudly. 

Alan is right, the Gen 3 had a Thule tow hitch that carried the Thule bike rack.....but not for towing

For the Excel, Toyota had tried to conceal the tow bar fitting by putting it well under the rear valance, and getting the electrics in, is a bit tricky, to say the least.

I am sure that the noise is totally subjective, and the conflict has arrived after my expectations were not fulfilled in this respect. Hopefully Kithmo is right, and that after 3k miles all will be sweetness & light. 

Interestingly, my wife who wears 2 hearing aids, and has been given the title of "Profoundly Deaf" by the NHS, (although she thinks that should more be my title), can also hear the low frequency hum

On the other hand, the car drives brilliantly, and the change in acceleration from the Gen 3 just in Eco mode is quite startling......and still only 122 bhp, despite  my insurance company equating the 2017 Prius with a Seat Leon 270bhp..

Its a shame that the smell of leather seems to be bad thing these days, and the interior of the new car just smells of glue.

TO rectify, I have bought some Gliptone Leather Conditioner, and coated the wheel and upholstery in that, and entering the car is now a more special experience, and can be recommended.

I also like the auto mirror fold mechanism, as opposed to the little un-illuminated switch that was impossible to find after dark.

I probably will have a bash at updating the satnav sometime, but it wasn't that the Preferences for no Toll Roads was ticked, regarding the M6 Toll, it wasn't on the map at all, not even as ana option for me!

36 minutes ago, barrycoll said:

...Its a shame that the smell of leather seems to be bad thing these days, and the interior of the new car just smells of glue.

TO rectify, I have bought some Gliptone Leather Conditioner, and coated the wheel and upholstery in that, and entering the car is now a more special experience, and can be recommended....

That's odd, my car has a lovely leather smell when I open the doors.  I never got the waft of leather in a Q5 I had a few years ago despite it being fine napa leather.

Also, the folding mirror switch is illuminated on my car, or were you talking about you're previous Prius?

4 hours ago, barrycoll said:

... I am sure that the noise is totally subjective, and the conflict has arrived after my expectations were not fulfilled in this respect...

This was a surprise to me.

When I wrote up my test drive last year, I commented "my sound meter showed 66 dB on a wet stretch of road where I normally check sound levels, which is the same as my Gen 3 on 15" wheels does in the dry when the summer tyres are on.  The test car had 17" wheels, so I suspect mine will be noticeably better on 15" wheels and dry roads".

And so it was.  There is a very bad, very noisy surface for a half mile or so near me, but everywhere else my Gen 4 is great - I've just had my summer tyres put back on and the noise is even quieter.

I didn't notice the make of tyres on the demo car, but maybe that makes the difference?

My test drive of a Gen 4 was only on urban 30 mph roads, and I was too interested in all the Gen3/4 differences to notice any road rumble.....dont even know what wheel were fitted.

But did also appreciate the improved response to road irregularities (a euphemism for !Removed! big holes), and the lively steering....the Gen 3 was very wooden

(So just maybe I should have gone 15" Pete, and removed the plastic wheel covers)???????

But i did appreciate the fact the START is now on the right side, the same as my IQ, and far more intuitive than left side Gen 3.

The IQ, interestingly, was bought second hand with leather, and smells more than the Excel......but Gliptone is gradually doing its job, although just whether the arm rests and door trim is leather is doubtful.

Personally, I can't see a single good reason for the 17", but was glad we had the choice.  I don't mind the wheel trims, I've been told by senior tekkies in Toyota that they're only there to help the 15" cars get their astonishing CD figure (0.25 Gen 3, 0.24 Gen 4) (that's top 10 and top 5 world production car figures respectively!).

I was also glad to have them when the usually excellent auto parking rammed my NSF wheel into a high kerb so quickly I didn't react in time and bug****d up a sub £30 trim instead of the alloy!

My Bridgestone OEM tyres are slightly quieter than the Nokian WR D3 winter tyres I had on from November to last week.  When the Bridgestones need replacing I'll look around, but the Dunlop Sport BluResponse I had put on my old Gen 3 T3 were noticeably quieter than the original Bridgstones that car had, and still had good wet/dry and wear performance, so they'll be the first ones I look at next time.

My experience of 17" on the Auris is they get quieter with age.  I lined the spare wheel tray with silver sided carpet underlay and that improved it.  The road noise is very much down to road surface type, I test drove three demo cars one was quieter than my Auris the other two not as Quiet.  Even the Gen 4 on 15" can appear noisy on some roads in poor weather but most of the time is much quieter than my last three Hybrids.

The only thing I do not like is the lights coming on in the garage on start up.  I am sure the Sat Nav had the toll road (I do not use it out of principle) as I think I would have noticed its absence.  I did get an update before I went south.  I would like GPS speed like on my Garmin but once you learn its foibles its quite nice.

Dont get a flat Battery in the garage it does not push out like a manual.    

That's true Ian, there is no GPS speed on the satnav is there....hadn't noticed.

Rules & regs probably.

Yes, Pete, you are dead right, in that there is no real reason for ever using 17" rims, other than parking the car, walking away, and then...looking back.

And congratulating yourself on such a pretty car.

16" standardised would have done the trick twixt aesthetics and function, as it does for most other cars, but there is no option.

Still struggling to understand the dash layout options with the right hand 4 arrows, and discovered (finally) the EV Battery meter/eco/power is in "i" on the right to left arrows. ...very clear, and mirrored next to the HUD

The quality of the nav screen seems very low rent, as the appearance when OFF looks like a quality Tablet screen , but then seriously disappoints, especially the nav colours

After a cross London trip this morning, I have found myself "listening for road noise" which means that madness is not far off, but have found that James O'Brien on LBC is a top value antidote to that developing addiction. He makes you think.

But today, all in all, the car was responsive, quiet (gasp, did I say THAT! ), and felt all of a piece. Very nice indeed.

Have you seen another yet? 500 miles M6, M1, M25 M4 total 2 spotted. N. Wales two months zilch.  I doubt the exclusivity will last, but it is nice while it does. I get a buzz every time I drive it still, as if I discovered a secret. 

1 hour ago, cviclark said:

Have you seen another yet? 500 miles M6, M1, M25 M4 total 2 spotted. N. Wales two months zilch.  I doubt the exclusivity will last, but it is nice while it does. I get a buzz every time I drive it still, as if I discovered a secret. 

I've now seen 9, 4 in the last couple of weeks (including one I followed for a while - a Gen 4 convoy?).

Also saw my fifth Tesla Model S on Sunday (not yet seen any Model X).

I've been blown away by every Prius I've driven (all four generations), but this one by far blows me away the most - even with the naff interior storage, rubbish rear headroom, missing under boot storage, and dreadful (not to say dangerous) auto lights.

Nth London is UBER central, so quite a few 15" road grim-ed, white black or silver cars. And none very attractive.

Maybe this was part of the reason for 17"s and chrome/protection pack, to give me a sense of something a bit special for my cash

Just checking things out today, and discovered that the "alloy wheels" are really plastic, and that there are black rims tucked behind.

Has anybody noticed this, and considered removing the plastic to see what's behind??????????

But if so........how?

I see that this has come up on Prius chat, and there is a possibility of removing the rather strange 17" plastic wheel cover.

The black rims revealed look OK but just unfinished with the holes for the plastic mounting.

Must be designed for slipperiness, not aesthetics??

You'll have to remove the wheel to get the plastic pieces off without breaking them and they come in 3 other colours, gold, black and blue, but at £440 a set :ohmy: I don't think anybody will be taking them up on those.

The low rent Nav comes into its own on the motorway, showing a full 3D picture of each junction as you approach. with arrows indicating which lane to be in etc. Also the distance to turn arrows can be displayed on the MFD if you select the compass in the menus.

I had a Lexus IS on 17" wheels they corroded so badly that they changed (all 5) under warranty at the third annual service.  It also ate front tires on the inside edges every 9K. miles. They were handed so while front to back changes and the spare moved about they could not be cross changed. The inside edges were so well hidden I did not know until they would not let me drive it after a service.  My guess is if you remove the plastic they will corrode very badly, and corroded alloys dont look good.  

£440 a set of plastic wheel covers is quite appalling Keith, and it is far cheaper to have the alloys them selves refurbished. But Mr T seems to get away with this raised middle finger pricing 

I am sure that the Nav has some redeeming features, but )once again) I was hoping for a more upmarket product, with a more 2017 screen quality.....eg similar to this IPad 4 screen.

One gets used to these poor products, but there is no feel-good factor in the use thereof.

............but will check out the Compass setting when next using a route. But does that cause a loss of the EV/Eco performance curves on the upper screen?

Not sure that the plastic wheel covers would do any protecting of the alloy surface Ian, as they are not sealed into place.....any road salt will lodge behind, and would be impossible to remove.

Surprised about your Lexus alloys corroding,as I am sure that frequent hosing off in bad weather would stop most of any corrosion.....and you seem keen to have a nice looking car

6 hours ago, barrycoll said:

............but will check out the Compass setting when next using a route. But does that cause a loss of the EV/Eco performance curves on the upper screen?

Yes, but you can have it repeated in the HUD.  The only thing you don't see is the EV light and the accelerator guidance line if you have that selected on the main display, but you still get the main accelerator position line.

In the States the sat nav is also shown in the HUD, but we lose out on the feature.

A new problem, discovered at the weekend, is that when the bike rack is up on the tow hitch, and the 2 bikes installed, backing out of the drive is almost impossible, as the car keeps slamming on the BRAKES, when it 'sees' problems just behind

Can this be turned OFF, does anybody know, as I had to put the car in N, and let it run down the driveway.

But what happens when trying to park, and reversing is required????????