Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D 4.2 when hard accelerating grabbing and limp

blitzman

Hi guys,

First off all I apologize for english mistakes :blush:

My 2005 RAV4 2.0 D4D 1CD-FTV 150.000miles.

When I accelerating hard, the car starting to grabbing and sometimes going to limp mode and I have to stop and start again, after this, everything working well again. There is a saved fault code, that is P1251, after a few stop/start it will disappear. 

I have these attempts:

• Try Toyota fuel system cleaner - take in to the fuel and 50miles later it will make the car perfect. Unfortunately 2-3 full tank fuel later, the fault came back.
  • Usually buy normal fuel (not from supermarkets) - now tried the premium, most expensive diesels, and fault again disappeared. However later it's no matter the premium or/and the cleaner liquid in the tank, by all means it's grabbing and stop the car, take the fault code P1251
  • I read on the forum, clean the EGR valve, it happened, there wasn't a lot dirt inside, but it was dirty - after the egr cleaning there was a 40miles wrong running (grabbing) but later it going to improved. Sad to say, that is again undone after 800miles
  • Second time again cleaning the EGR, this time also clean the MAF sensor and the turbo geometry working was easy - working good for a little time, later again went wrong
  • Changed these parts: air filter, fuel filter, oil (liqui molly 5w-40), oil filter, timing belt and other continuously parts - no helps

The grabbing starts when the rpm is 2100-2600 and wants to accelerate harder or going on a hill

Toyota car mechanics says it's can be turbo or SCV or whatever, maybe blanking the EGR (Can I blank it without warning light, with a plate?).Unfortunately they don't know what's the problem, have to change some expensive parts to find out the fault...

Maybe someone can help me?

Thank you guys!

Sorry to say have had a similar problem on my 2002 D4D for the past year. I had new SCV's and Airflow meter and several visits to the garage, but no real joy. I posted an unusual remedy awhile ago ie. Dropped car in wrong gear, clouds of black smoke but car went like a train for several months but problem returned. It doesn't occur so much, like you I stop turn off ignition and then off we go. As you pointed out Toyota garage have no specific answer without an expensive (yours) trial and error campaign. Judging by the times in this forum this subject has arisen you would think Toyoyta would have a more convincing approach - Good Luck !

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links