Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OBD-II customization and Toyota's warranty

Addams

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody has an insider information on whether using a third-party car customization tool (such as "Carista App" or "Prius Tweak App") which involves plugging a Bluetooth/WiFi device or USB cable into the car's OBD-II port and running a smartphone/PC app will:

- Will affect the car's warranty in any way?
      - As long as you make only customizations (such as convenient features, seatbelt chime) and obviously you don't do silly things like flashing the engine's software

- Will be detectable by the dealer in any way?
      - I mean if the car tracks a record of each time an OBD-II device is attached and/or a convenient customization is made?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Wouldn't the customisation be noticeable to the dealer when he sits in your car anyway?

Personally I'd only use the OBD-II software to read data from the car, I wouldn't dream of writing software to it. Anything could happen, especially if it's Bluetooh/WiFi. A dropped connection, poorly written software (on the phone), and it opens up a whole range of possibilities of corrupting the customisation you've made or corrupting everything on the onboard computer.