Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2012 2.2 engine oil leak

Alan1234

I was going on a 350 mile round trip last Sunday . Checked the levels etc on Saturday and noticed a oil leak under the car . Dipstick level had dropped to just over min level took off under tray and found an oil leak oil filter housing area , took the car to Toyota just before they shut on the Saturday , they took the car straight in and checked it . The oil filter plastic housing etc leaking . They dropped me and the wife home . Took my other vehicle on the trip got back today popped into the garage all fixed . Should have cost £358.99 parts and labour all under warranty they even valeted the car inside and out . Very good service from mr T at very short notice . The service manager had only ever seen this fault once before. We had the car serviced 4K miles ago and I check all the cars levels weekly and there was no leak last week . He showed me the housing and the threads were perfect but had a crack running down the threads and finally reached the seal causing it to leak when the revs were raised . So just a note to everyone check for hairline cracks when changing your filters 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Lucky you had warranty cover. The price of the plastic filter housing is high. I did change the oil in my car last year and used a special tool for the job. I did inspect the housing and it had no cracks. May be the vibration of the diesel engine has more effect, but the crack must be manufacturing defect.

I do tend to find plastic goes brittle over time . With the forces of tightening and undo it's going to give at some point especially if it's over tightened . You can find a screw on cap on eBay for 30quid. Regarding the cap price from Toyota I phoned Jemma Toyota reading and they wanted £92 + vat so the price on my invoice could have been internal cost price for inchcape Toyota .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links