Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little power than all

Cooket3

I have noticed my car (Auris SR180 2.2Diesel 2008) is very sluggis huntill 1900rpm then the full turbo kicks in. Im sure a few months back my car was nice and smooth down the rev range

I have cleaned out the egr last month and added redex turbo and cleaner and dpf cleaner in my next tank. Does this sound like my car is developng an issue or is it normal and I am pannicing? The sluggishness happened before the egr was cleaned too car has dont 56000 miles and seems in good condition engine wise

There known to be abit lacking down low in the revs but nothing to bad ... If it's not the same then there could be a problem ... But with how sensitive the Toyota setup is normally you would have had some array of indications to say there was a problem ... 

Personally I would disconnect the Battery for an hour this resetting the entire system and then take it for a bit of an Italian tune up and see if it's the the same and also if you reset it and there's a problem it shouldn't be masked and flare up an indication 

I disconnected the Battery and its still the same, say 30%power t0 1900rpm then 100% power It just wont pull away quickly at all, this is with both the chip on and off. I do remember spinning my wheels when i put a few revs on while pulling away when I first got my car, but now its lacking power (Not that I want to spin my wheels!)

I may be wrong but I suspect that Toyota has programmed that behaviour. Both of my Avensis have been like that - strong in-gear acceleration in higher gears but never going to win the "away from the traffic light" race. On the other hand clutch & DMF issues don't seem to be a big issue on Toyotas which again may be a sign that take up power is being managed.

Obviously it's also easier to spin the wheels on damp surface or more worn tyres.

Maybe, but i do remember it being much smoother in the early days i bought the car. Im going to have to try record it on my phone, hands free of course, and hopefully it may shed more light and help diagnose anything

Just had a P0087 error, low pressure on rail, could be a few things maybe this is the reason I am getting the above

Do you have a Tuning box fitted at all 

Yes, im hoping this is it and I have it turned on just too high, fingers crossed. Im going disconnect it tonight after work

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, was the chip too high.

Noticed car struggles to start properly some days. Outside temperature is around 12 Celcius, been told it maybe a pressure thing in the rail. Any ideas?

20170419_170432.mp4

Could be but it doesn't activate till you try to turn it over but could explain it 

chip is off, but still the same happens on random days, any ideas?

EGR clean, DPF regenerate, could be a number of things have tbh 

EGR Is cleaned, driven on motorway over 3k revs for 30 mins to 'force' regen, no idea if it worked as car doesn't tell you or you cant see it

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the huge delay, managed to get this recorded on a private carpark and passenger holding the phone. The car is stedily ideling in 1st gear car is moving ok, about half a secont before the needle moved that is when I put my foot down, it is much worse in second and third gear and sometimes a super flat spot around 2-2.3k revs.

Does this seem normal to you guys or lagging, i remember the car being much more responsive down the rev range. Maybe dpf filter is almost blocked and therefore exhaust goes straight back into the engine untill the turbo spools up?

Thanks

Both the delayed power delivery and poor cold start can be caused by a faulty/failing SCV valve. There is a modified SCV and software update available, valve part number 04226-0L030

software update? I didnt know cars got those

Modern cars are full of computers and in some cases it is software rather than hardware that can cause a fault. In those cases the car needs connecting to Toyotas diagnostic software and the latest software written onto the cars control units.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2017 at 9:37 PM, Cooket3 said:

it is much worse in second and third gear and sometimes a super flat spot around 2-2.3k revs.

Does this seem normal to you guys or lagging, i remember the car being much more responsive down the rev range. Maybe dpf filter is almost blocked and therefore exhaust goes straight back into the engine untill the turbo spools up?

Thanks

I've had my SR180 and particularly on the motorway when cruising I've suspected a flat spot around the revs you quote but I thought this was normal!  Also agree that there's not much power 1k-1.6k rpm but when the turbo kicks in you sure know about it.  Quite a breathless engine though beyond 3k rpm especially in 5th and 6th.

How have you got on with Redex?  I use Millers diesel additive but I'm not sure if it's making any difference!  Also agree it's difficult to get a tidy launch with this car either the car bogs down or you wheelspin!

On 5/29/2017 at 10:05 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Both the delayed power delivery and poor cold start can be caused by a faulty/failing SCV valve. There is a modified SCV and software update available, valve part number 04226-0L030

Is this something only Toyota can fit or could my local mechanic do it too?

Yes I have put a few redX in, turbo cleaner and dpf cleaner (inseparate full tanks, not together)  

I need to look into the software thing

Today, some strange, dry metal on metal rubbing noises were coming from the rear of the car intermittently today.  Once I got back I headed straight to the mechanic, luckily they heard the noise as I pulled in and straight away they could see the rear brake disc was a bit scratched.  Closer inspection showed flipping brake liner decided to do one and the metal pad was making contact with the disc!  The other liners still had plenty of life left in them.

Thankfully, only the brake pads needed replacing but after a brief drive I'm sure the car goes with a bit more gusto!  I bet all this time the damn liner had been touching the disc creating additional friction.

I bet nobody saw that coming.

Glad it wasn't a major problem.

All this time I suspected the car doesn't quite take off like it ought to, I hope this was the only thing holding the performance back.  Will jack the car up once in a while to make sure the wheels remain free spinning.

Ive had both calilipers changed as this is a common issue with auris' i believe. When I bought the car and got home, i smelled burning and put my hand near the brake disc and wow it was hot!