Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange unlocking

KayG

Hi been lurking since getting my Auris hybrid tourer a couple of years ago and have read every post in the hybrid and Auris sections !  Absolutely loving the car and have had no problems (until now) since having the car from new.

Recently my immaculate motor was hit from the side resulting in it needing two new doors and a bit of straightening of the centre pillar, since getting it back from the body shop there is now a strange problem with the locking system.

With the power on when you close the drivers door or press the switch on the door pillar it unlocks all the doors twice, a double 'clunk'. Even if all the doors are already unlocked it still does this. Only happens on the drivers door, does it all the time and doesn't matter whether one or more of the other doors are locked or unlocked. Doesn't do it with the power off.

The bodyshop only put two new doors on and transferred all the mechanism from the old doors to the new. Apart from this double unlocking the locks all work as they should. I have tried every conceivable combination of setting the locks, unlocking and locking the vehicle using both the keyfob, door handles and switches and yet I can't fix the problem.

Anyone else had experience of this or any idea how to fix it, maybe it's an option that can be set by the dealer ? The Battery was disconnected for three days whilst they did the work but all the radio settings and user customisations stayed the same, i've since driven over 500 miles so I'm presuming it's not a low Battery problem.

Hope the link works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tur8jz4y5t9lade/Photo 08-02-2017%2C 09 33 28.jpg?dl=0

I would say that in the transfer of mechanisms from the old to the new doors, the bodyshop have done something wrong. The work done should be covered by the insurer's warranty, rather than Toyota's. So I'd liaise with your insurer, take it back to the bodyshop and get them to sort it, possibly with the advice of a Toyota dealer.

Bodyshop don't know what's wrong, they say it was a simple case of unbolting the mechanism from the old doors and bolting it onto the new. Strange it should happen when the door pillar switch is pressed,  that to me suggests the problem is not with the mechanical side of the locking mechanism but maybe a sensor ? I can't be sure whether  something has been damaged in the accident or the bodyshop has done something wrong when reassembling.

I was hoping it was just a case of going through a certain procedure that has to be done to set the locks to normal operation or perhaps there was something obvious that hadn't been connected properly.

Looks like I'll have to go to  Toyota and hope they know what the issue is, was hoping to avoid any costs for diagnosis though !

Sounds like your body repair shop are flannelling. I'd be going back to my insurer to tell them that the case isn't closed yet. :angry: That way, if Toyota charge for a diagnosis you might not have to end up paying for it. Do you have legal cover on your insurance? It sounds off-topic, but if so, then they can probably 'lean on' people a little bit more persuasively.

Sincere commiserations, anyway. I once had a bad side-swipe (although not on a Toyota) that bent the door pillar and needed two new door skins, and TBH the car was never quite right again. Although the garage used laser alignment and all the rest of it, one of the locks was always a bit sticky, and the level of road noise on that side was always louder than it ought to have been. 

In my case I was lucky - somebody then nicked the car! :biggrin:

15 hours ago, KayG said:

Bodyshop don't know what's wrong

Looks like I'll have to go to  Toyota and hope they know what the issue is, was hoping to avoid any costs for diagnosis though !

It is the insurers responsibility to repair the car back to the condition it was in before the accident.

So rather than go to a Toyota dealer yourself and pay - and you may have trouble getting reimbursed by the insurer - contact the insurer, state what the issue is and that the bodyshop don't know what they've drone, and suggest to the insurer they get a Toyota dealer involved at their expense, to sort the problem.

Otherwise consider contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service - http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-insurance.html

The repairers have put a note on my file about the locking problem and suggested I go to Toyota for diagnosis. There was no mention of cost, I just presumed it would be covered by insurance.

Just got to find the time to get to my dealer, wonder if it's okay to wait another month and have it looked into at the same time as its 60,000 mile service. Better to get it sorted sooner rather than wait though.

At the end of the day, the locking presumably was working properly before the accident, and it is since the repairs, which are the insurer's responsibility, the locking is now not working as it should. As it is work done by a third party (the insurer's bodyshop), the Toyota dealer won't do any work under the Toyota new car warranty, and they will want to charge for any diagnostic or repair work.

I would still go back to your insurer about the issue, and put the decision as to how they are going to resolve the issue in their hands. Think the bodyshop are fobbing you off. If the insurer refers you to a Toyota dealer for diagnosis or repair, ensure the insurer is covering the dealer's costs.

• Like 1

Popped into Toyota and had an informal chat with one of the techs. Showed him the problem and he didn't know what could be causing the issue. He'd never seen the problem before and can only think it might be a microswitch not lined up properly, without stripping everything down and testing all the components he can't say what's wrong.

The repairers are going to liaise with the dealer to get it booked in for a proper diagnosis and check, I will let you know the outcome.

• 4 weeks later...

**FIXED**

After having a look at some service diagrams and deciding there wasn't much that could go wrong, and noticing one of the rear Speakers wasn't working I decided to take off the door cards and have a quick look inside.

When I went to remove the multi-plug that connects to the locking mechanism I noticed it came away very easily, when I put it back in there was a definite click, after doing that the locks work normally so it looks like the repairers hadn't pushed the connector all the way home!

Even worse the connector for the rear speaker hadn't even been reconnected!!

So a nice easy fix for both problems but I'm really annoyed that the repairers couldn't do something as simple as pushing a multi plug back together.