Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radio upgrade

Darth IQ73

Allright,

I have a stock 2010 IQ1 with the original CD mount stack.

If I wanted to change to the TNS system, to include satnav, phone call, music playing facilitating etc could this be upgraded?

I'm looking at something like the Apple CarPlay or similar.

Could I just 'swap' my CD unit over to one of these systems, (with obvious connector cabling), and the correct facia surround?

Any help or advice would be kindly received. Cheers all

Matt

Sometime ago I was think of doing the same Matt. After hunting around this site and others, from memory (and a poor one) I believe it seemed to be quite costly getting all the right bits and pieces from Toyota. It depends how handy you are with fibre glass but somewhere on the interweb there's an article by an iQ owner who made his own cowling to put a radio etc., in. If I can find the posts that I'm thinking of I'll put them on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craggle said:

Pretty sure I was the first to fit a standard DIN radio in an iQ and I know of only one other being done afterwards.

Images of my install are halfway down this page.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/?page=7

Craig.

tidy job Craig :)

Yeah I also remember your article Craig, and remember thinking that was a good design.

So are we saying that this isn't commonplace, or unless I am a whizz with fibreglass etc ?

That can't be right?

So what if I found an old unit from a scrappie or breakers somewhere, could it not just be 'swapped' over?

Surely it can't be 'that' difficult can it ?!?

Thanks for the updates guys, but I do think an easier answer to my woes is out there....

Hi Matt - I'm in the process of doing this now. I did quite a bit of research first - I remember seeing Craigs' solution and seriously considering something similar, as I've used fibreglass before. (excellent job btw Craig!) Eventually though, decided to go with a double din.

It is a straight swap out from a technological point of view, you can put pretty much what ever you want in headunit-wise. The TNS is an option, obviously, and will fit straight in and work with your IQ (with the correct wiring loom, as you pointed out) The real obstacle for most, I assume, is the fascia parts required, as they are pretty expensive bought new from Toyota. They ARE straight forward to get, though. Along with the cost of a TNS, it can work out prohibitively expensive for most.

I decided to go with the correct fascia upgrades, but with a carefully selected Chinese aftermarket double din unit. Before anyone breaks out in a panic-sweat (!!) I have done this before, with my MKV Golf R32. I admit to being nervous for a while, but over 2 years on, and I've no complaints at all about the unit in the Golf. So, I decided to go with something similar in the IQ.

I managed to find two of the 6 extra trim pieces needed on eBay (in the U.S.) which saved some money, then grimaced and got the rest from local dealer. I have just got to finish wiring up the rest of the sound system over the weekend. I have been taking some pics along the way, and was hoping to start a thread in case anyone was interested.

So, in answer to your questions (I think?) - it is pretty straight forward to ditch the standard CD Radio and replace with something better. Whether you decide on single din and some handy fibre glass skills, or double din (TNS or other) and more financial outlay, is the real question I suppose? I guess it could come down to preference, as well. I really like the look of the single din approach, and it offers a tidy solution, especially if you are more focussed on music. I WAS tempted...

However, when I bought the IQ, I was looking to buy one with the sat nav anyway - unfortunately, the right one just didn't appear at the time, and with my eventual purchase being a CVT IQ3 with only 1500 miles, 1 owner, and mint, I couldn't refuse. So for the upgrade, I've gone with buying a few bits at a time and had to be maddeningly patient!!

Without checking, I not sure exactly what I've spent - I think it's about £260'ish on parts, and a 'haggled' £185 for the Android headunit. Certainly not cheap, I know. But I've always enjoyed upgrading sound systems anyway, and like to keep things as OEM as possible - stealth, if you like. It's looking really promising so far, and seems to work well. The only thing I need to locate now is the wiring loom attachment to enable the steering wheel controls (at a sensible price, anyway). I have some replacement Speakers, amps, and sub, along with a load of closed cell foam for sound proofing - but that is for another thread, I hope!?!

Hope this helps.

Paul

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Furbo said:

I have been taking some pics along the way, and was hoping to start a thread in case anyone was interested.

Hope this helps.

Paul

If you could do a thread on this Paul, I for one would really appreciate it...all the best  

• Like 1

That's fantastic thanks Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links