Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid - Transmission Oil at 35K

Gerg

I decided to change the transmission (PSD) oil. Our car has covered 35,000 miles.

There is no service requirement for this in the Toyota schedule.

The old (factory fill) oil is on the left, the new oil (Toyota WS ATF) is on the right.

P1130936.JPG

If it is if any use:-

The transmission is rated at 3.3 litre capacity. I carefully measured how much emptied out, it was 2.95 litres, that was with the car raised at the front, or level on all wheels, no more would drain.

The torque for both fill and drain bolts is 29 lb/ft. A 10mm hex driver for your socket set is fairly essential as the access is a tiny bit limited, so an Allen key probably won't work, and besides, you won't be able to torque it back up properly with an Allen key.

Some of the six 10mm M6 bolts that secure the undertray were quite badly corroded, I could imagine these snapping off if you were in a rush (they fit into a steel chassis member).

P1130914.JPG

The fill plug is to the left of the drive shaft, the drain is underneath the drive shaft, but further under the box. In this photo, the front of the car is on the right, so the view (and access) of these plugs is from the centre of the car at the back of the engine compartment. The engine sump is in the top r/h of the picture.

The drain/fill plugs release quite suddenly with a crack - watch your knuckles. Don't forget to undo the fill plug first.

P1130933.JPG

When refitting the undertray, it is worth noting that the clips that (on this car at least) fit to the rear of the tray (top of the picture) are 2 different sizes. The bigger clips have a grey insert, and are a b*gger to refit unless the centre pin is completely removed first, then it's effortless.

• Like 3

it always amazes me why manufacturers say you dont need to replace the gear oil

when all other oils are replaced at an certain interval.

The service and warranty booklet contains information on changing transmission fluid/oil for some models.

but why only some models,when i used to have a mercedes the auto's have a

gearbox oil change but the manual didn't besides the auto filter needing replacement

oil degrades over time so why shouldn't it be changed on both.

Manuals use dry clutch(s) so no contamination in the oil, whereas auto boxes have wet clutches. As the clutch wears, you will get debri in the oil and therefore it is critical that the valve body and solenoids remain in working order.

• Like 1