Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost of Service in Toyota Dealer??

Lia

Hi all,

I just bought a new toyota Aygo and would like some information regarding the cost of yearly service at Toyota dealer, please?Just wondering whether their Service Plan worth taking, really?

Thanks for your help :)

Hello Ni Putu Siri Lia - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Toyota offers a fixed price service scheme - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

Service intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. An Intermediate service is due at 1 year/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000 miles, etc. A Full service is due at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc. Current service costs for the Aygo are £140 Intermediate, and £250 Full.

So any service plan should be based on these maximum costs. Eg a three year service plan (2 Intermediate services and 1 Full) should be 2 x 140 + 250 = £530.

Depending on the dealer, they may also offer other benefits such as a percentage off any accessories bought during the plan, etc. 

The main benefit of a service plan are that your service costs are fixed throughout the period of the plan, one can pay in monthly instalments over the period of the plan, and instalments are usually interest free. So if Toyota increases the prices of the services, your plan won't increase. Toyota last increased prices in 2016, and also revised the content of each level of service.

One can also tailor the plan to include such things as MOT's if applicable, etc.

We've had service plans on each of our last five cars, and found they worked well for us.

Obviously it is your choice

One downside is if you sell the car before the plan expires.  We bought a mini one but sold the car after only one service and Mini refused any refund of the unused part of the plan.  It didn't add to the trade in price offered either.  Of course Toyota may have a different approach to selling their plans? 

1 hour ago, Blue Kingfisher said:

One downside is if you sell the car before the plan expires.  We bought a mini one but sold the car after only one service and Mini refused any refund of the unused part of the plan.  It didn't add to the trade in price offered either.  Of course Toyota may have a different approach to selling their plans? 

Different product to a service plan.

'Mini TLC' is a service pack rather than a service plan. 

Similar to Hyundai where one can purchase a service pack for either three or five years when one orders a new vehicle.

With service plans, dealers use a management company (eg. Emac) to collect the payments by direct debit, and when a service occurs they invoice and get paid by the management company. If the vehicle is sold part way through the service plan, a refund of any outstanding balance can be paid, but may be subject an admin fee (usually something like £25).

Personally I liked having a service plan because I knew it was paid for so all you had to do was hand over the keys and it was done.

I had the Toyota Service Plan on my iQ and now my Aygo. I'm normally a pay-as-you-go person when it comes to this type of thing, but this plan has made the servicing nice and easy on these cars.

Taking out a service plan can reduce the cost of your services as discounts of 5% or 10% can be added depending on which dealer you visit.

Thanks all for the advice, bought the plan now and no more thinking about service fees for the next 3 years 😁

Well done!

Thank you to Frosty Balls for clarifying the difference between a service pack and a service plan, I had no idea!

Following this discussion a service plan is something I am interesting in buying.  Thank you all.

Just took mine out for my new Aygo which I'm collecting tomorrow eek! it works out £19 a month two intermediates and one full plus an MOT

seems a bit high imo. 36x£19=£684 - an Intermediate service on an Aygo is £140, a full £250 & an MOT is a max of £54. So I, F, I +MOT= £584 ... these are max. prices, dealers are free to do cheaper if they wish ...

There would have to be be price inflation of ~5.5% every year for 3 years for you to be worse off just paying as required v your plan.

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

seems a bit high imo. 36x£19=£684 - an Intermediate service on an Aygo is £140, a full £250 & an MOT is a max of £54. So I, F, I +MOT= £584 ... these are max. prices, dealers are free to do cheaper if they wish ...

There would have to be be price inflation of ~5.5% every year for 3 years for you to be worse off just paying as required v your plan.

it was based on MOT price £27

Depends whether the plan is over 36 months or a shorter period. For example my last 3 year service plan was over 30 months, and my current service plan is over 32 months.

£530 (2 intermediates + 1 full) + £27 (MOT) = 557.

Possibly £19 approx for 30 months

16 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

it was based on MOT price £27

that makes it even worse ... :tongue:

Although Frosty is correct if the term is less because you are doing more than 10K per year hence require more frequent servicing.

12 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Although Frosty is correct if the term is less because you are doing more than 10K per year hence require more frequent servicing.

The term of the plan can be three years, but the payment period less - which is what I've had with my last two Toyota service plans - ie three services over three years, payment period 30 months

You do have to be careful things that aren't included in a normal service but need changing are covered; e.g. cabin filter, brake fluid, clutch fluid, gearbox oil, power steering fluid, MOT etc.

I don't have a service plan, but take advantage of the very good value fixed-price servicing, and there's almost always some extra thing they say needs doing that isn't covered by the fixed-price servicing. I don't mind so much since I'm paying anyway, but it would annoy the heck out of me if I'd already paid and then get nickel-and-dimed, as my US friends would say, for silly little extra things that could have been predicted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

You do have to be careful things that aren't included in a normal service but need changing are covered; e.g. cabin filter, brake fluid, clutch fluid, gearbox oil, power steering fluid, MOT etc.

I don't have a service plan, but take advantage of the very good value fixed-price servicing, and there's almost always some extra thing they say needs doing that isn't covered by the fixed-price servicing. I don't mind so much since I'm paying anyway, but it would annoy the heck out of me if I'd already paid and then get nickel-and-dimed, as my US friends would say, for silly little extra things that could have been predicted.

Toyota changed the fixed price services a year or so ago to include many such things which could be expected e.g. a brake fluid change is now included in the price of the Full & Full + service rather than being an "extra". There will always be some things though which are on an "inspect" & replace if necessary basis rather than automatic.

When the fixed price servicing schedules were revised last year, Toyota included some of the previous options within the schedules. So for example, a brake fluid change and cabin air filter change are both included within the Full service.

Yeah, that was the given reason for the price hike IIRC.

I'm glad they kept the old-style services as the gold and silver services, as if they don't change those 'extra' items you still get charged the same on the new ones!

I need to check my service plan, as I'm in the third year of ownership of my Aygo.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:15 PM, Cyker said:

I recently had my Aygo 2016 serviced for the first time (15K km) and indeed there were a couple of things that I was suggested to add to the basic service (e.g. cabin air filter, which was really dirty, aircon cleaning etc. as well as a Toyota additive in the fuel tank to clean the engine, as I managed to do 15K km in 9 months). I accepted all proposed items, as the cost was not that much but I may have refused it otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a quote for 4 year service plan . Service price in total £934.10. with service discount of £109.70. So plan price is £824.40 plus admin fee of £44.40. This equates to 1 payment of £156.96 and 36 payments of £18.54. This is for 2 full and 2 basic services and 2 mots (mots priced at £39.00 each).Not sure what people think but where does the £934.10 come from to start with.

Edited by grahamthegasman
added mot price in

Two things occur to me:

1. The dealer isn't using Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing scheme

2. Where does the admin fee come from.

The £934.10 works out at:

£156.96 + £667.44 (£18.54 multiplied by 36) + £109.70 (service discount)

Under Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing scheme an Intermediate service costs £140 for the Aygo, and a Full service £250. So by my reckoning the service plan should be in the region of £858 (2 X £140, 2 X £250, 2 X £39). 

I've had three service plans with Toyota and no admin fee was charged.

I would go back to the dealer and ask: why the service costs are different to Toyota's Fixed Price Service Scheme; where does the admin fee come from and when is that paid, as the payments you have been asked to make total the £824.40; also the MOT costs don't seem to be included.